Edmodo 3.0 Feature Highlights

August 2nd, 2009

Notable Edmodo 3.0 features

• Realtime updates – Edmodo time-line auto-refreshes
  • Threaded replies, replies are now underneath each post instead of sent to the top of the timeline and treated like a new post.
  • New caching system – Speed when clicking items is now super fast
  • Archive feature – ability for teachers to archive their groups forever.
  • Inline editing of posts and replies -we don’t send you to a separate page to edit your posts and replies now.
  • Spotlight feature – when someone replies to one of your posts, when you post an assignment or when a student turns in an assignment they get highlighted in the spotlight area.  This should be the first thing you check when you login to Edmodo from now on.
  • See all posts by user by clicking their picture or name.

Items currently disabled in Edmodo 3.0

• Notifications are currently disabled -  Update: turned back on Aug 2nd at 2:04pm CST time
  • Importing of RSS feeds  – Currently Disabled
  • Group Deletion – we have to rewrite the group deletion codes. as things are much more complex  due to our cacheing system.  No time-frame yet on when this will be back.

Make sure you check out The Edmodo Documentation Wiki for detailed instructions of Edmodo features.

17 Responses to “Edmodo 3.0 Feature Highlights”

1. [...] Edmodo 3.0 Blog Post – Exciting [...]

2. Al Delgado says:

Is scribd api rendering doc and rtf docs right now?

3. edmodo says:

Al Delgado, yes Scribd is rendering doc & rtf files for all new files. I just tested.

4. James Allen says:

Is there a way to moderate student responses/posts between students? Or do you only see those if they send a post to the intire group? Thanks

5. edmodo says:

We feel student moderation takes away from the real-time nature of Edmodo. We offer the ability for the teacher to delete any inappropriate post and think it is up to the teacher to discipline when necessary and to teach responsibility of using online tools.

6. James Allen says:

Thanks. I agree usually, except at the elementary level parents get upset with me when other children make irresponsible choices that affect their own child. In my opinion your setup is great for 6th grade and up though. Thanks for your work.

7. edmodo says:

I've learned you can't make everyone happy and we don't aim to. Thanks, if you require moderation for your groups then Edmodo may not be the best choice as we do not have plans for adding this as it takes away from the realtime nature of our product. There are plenty of other options out there that may be better suited for this.

8. [...] see the appeal of using a centralized blogging format, such as that provided by Edmodo, because its new features, especially its threaded replies make it very easy to track posts, responses, and general dialogue [...]

9. barrybrown says:

Hi,

I currently use Moodle for my classes, but it's starting to get me down. That software has turned into a huge morass. And it's slow.

I like what I'm seeing in Edmodo, but it doesn't yet fill my needs. My dream is to be able to use a course management system that's up-to-date on the latest web and social technologies. I want AJAX for interactivity and speed; I want timelines, comments, and blogs; I want an online text editor that actually works!

What I really, really need is a course management system with a gradebook, online quizzes, online assignments, dropbox, forums, anonymous student feedback, and polls. I see Edmodo heading in that direction. Do you have a roadmap?

10. [...] Edmodo, in its latest 3.0 incarnation, comes with threaded comments, real time updating and refreshing and a very useful spotlight widget [...]

11. Amanda says:

Why can't i change the color or style of my text????

12. Destiny Cyrus says:

Hey! whats the changes of the versions….i dind't see changes,but its much more faster than before (kind of ,not really)…I like edmodo it helps u learn! ,some students even are saying bad words how can we controll it? thanks! by the way,not so super fast! i like edmodoo!

13. Edmodo says:

Barry, a lot of what you have requested is what we are looking to create with edmodo. Keep an eye out :)

14. Jeff O'Hara says:

15. Chris Koenig says:

Is there now or are there plans for a public API for Edmodo?  I’d like to make a Windows Phone version of the Edmodo mobile client.

Chris Koenig
    Windows Phone Technical Evangelist
    Microsoft Corporation

16. Hans-Peter says:

Any plans for federated sign-on using SAML 2.0?