Edmodo document viewer now online

January 19th, 2010

UPDATE: Edmodo document viewer is back online.

We just activated a new feature on Edmodo called the doc viewer.  The Edmodo doc viewer allows you to view certain document formats inside your browser, without having to download the file and open the document in an external application.  The following formats are currently supported:

• doc – Microsoft Word 97, 2000, 2003, XP
  • docx – Microsoft Word 2007, 2008
  • pdf – Adobe Portable Document Format
  • odt – OpenOffice Open Document Text File
  • rtf – Rich Text Format

Edmodo Doc Viewer

We will be adding support for more file formats in the future such as xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx, and txt.  The doc viewer is built in flash and is not available on the mobile version of Edmodo.

Here is a quick rundown on how the document viewer works.  Upload your document, While the view is being generated, you and your students will still be able to click the file and download the original document.  Once your document has been converted, a magnifying glass icon will  appear. Click the magnifying glass to load the doc viewer right within your browser.  The doc viewer has the ability to download the original file, print, view fullscreen, and even zoom on text in the document.

Update: Given the high popularity of the doc viewer, we are working on speeding up the conversion process. Thank you for your patience.

9 Responses to “Edmodo document viewer now online”

1. scaryhouse says:

How about building it in HTML5 instead of Flash?
    Less hackable.
    Less processor overhead
    More accessible via mobile devices

2. anamariacult says:

I´d love to view the attached files in edmodo from my browser, however I can´t see any “GENERATING VIEW ” OR “VIEW” in my edmodo messages. Can you help me out?

3. Jeff O'Hara says:

We very much like the idea of HTML5, and will be using HTML 5 in future mobile releases. HTML 5 however doesn't quite have enough browser support all around for us to move to it yet for desktop browsers…. yet :)

4. Jeff O'Hara says:

Anamariecult,

I just updated the post, Document viewer is currently offline while we move the document conversion to it's own servers. I do not have a timeframe for when it will come back online but we are hoping in the next week or 2.

5. Warren Lind says:

Could you please add support for .jnt files. in document viewer? Our school is a 1 to 1 laptop program and many students open uploaded documents in Windows Journal note in order to complete the assignment and then upload this document when turning in an assignment. Thanks!

6. Aterzas says:

Heeeelp…I can´t see any “GENERATING VIEW ” OR “VIEW” in my edmodo messages. Can you help me please?

7. rpetitto says:

By far, one of the best features (as a teacher) of edmodo!

8. Stevetenpas says:

This is excellent. It will make the user experience very slick. Thanks.