New Release: Make new Connections with Teacher Profiles and Spotlight Updates

May 7th, 2011

A consistent message we hear from the Edmodo community is that your Professional Learning Network is critical to both your professional success and personal satisfaction as an educator.  To support you in creating your PLN, this week’s release focuses on new ways to connect, collaborate and share a bit of yourself with the Edmodo community.  International translations are on the way, but new updates in the coming days include:

Enhanced Teacher Profile — the first step to building your Edmodo Professional Learning Network (PLN):

About Me: Do you teach third grade and chair the Geography Bee?  Are you a constructivist or a behaviorist?  Do you blog or tweet? Use this space to share your life as an educator, in your own words.

Teaching Experience: If you’ve added your current school to the Settings section, it will now display on the profile map.  After you’ve added your current school – share other schools you’ve worked at as well. It’s a small world — you never know the long lost connections you’ll discover!

DonorsChoose: Shine a light on your DonorsChoose projects!  Using your DonorsChoose teacher ID, you can easily add your project to your profile.

Connections & Communities: See at a glance Edmodo educators with whom you are connected, communities you’ve joined and track various ways you are engaging students and growing professionally with Edmodo.

Profile Stats: Watch your Edmodo portfolio grow with a dashboard view of your Edmodo activities, including:

• Students: Number of students in groups you have created or co-teach.
  • Teacher Connections: Number of teacher connections
  • Library Items: Number of items added directly to your library + Number of items added via “Add to Library” buttons
  • Sharing Score: See how often the resources you’ve shared are added to libraries and viewed by other users

Profile Completeness Progress Bar: Leverage the full value of Edmodo and build your PLN by completing your Teacher Profile, creating groups, connecting with educators and joining edmodo subject and content communities.

In addition to Teacher Profiles, we have released a number of updates that will help you manage your Edmodo groups more effectively, including:

New Group Members in Spotlight: You can now see how many new members have joined your group directly in your spotlight. For even closer management of your groups, set your notifications to receive an email or text when someone joins.

Late Assignments Notification: To help students get back on track, they will now receive a ‘late assignment’ notification in their Spotlight for up to two weeks after the assignment due date.

Add Content Directly to Folders: Planning a unit of study just got easier – you can now add content directly into a folder.  When you are in a folder, simply select the “Add to Library” button to add new content.

We’ve also rolled out a few minor items that will improve your overall user experience.  We hope you find these valuable – as always, please let us know your thoughts on the newest release!

44 Responses to “New Release: Make new Connections with Teacher Profiles and Spotlight Updates”

1. Biancah80 says:

Wow!! These are SUCH great additions to edmodo – I love that the ‘new members’ notification helps me know when all students (or teachers if it’s a PD group) are in the group, but also helps with security to make sure no ‘extra’ people get in (not that it happens to me cos I always change group codes once the whole class in in!).

The late assignment in the spotlight is genius … kids will ‘love’ that one ;-)

2. Jackie Ionno says:

I have never seen a product come out with so many enhancements in such a short period of time. Great job Edmodo. Love the late assignment reminder and new group member button. I plan to update my profile tonight. Happy Mother’s Day to all!

3. Rodotheos says:

fantastic work. well done. I’m always keen to contribute for international translations. My language is Greek.

4. Joyce Pereira says:

You all are INCREDIBLE! I am so pleased with the results!

5. Crystal says:

What are the teacher badges all about? I can’t find anything about these.

• Clwatson says:

I was wondering the same thing!  If I understood how you earn the badges and how many there are I could implement some sort of reward system for the other teachers at my school to give edmodo a chance.

• Jim says:

I agree. Some understanding of how the system works might encourage more buy-in among teachers at my school.

• Jcarter says:

I would really like to know how these work too

• Kathy Burnette says:

I am having the same question about badges – many of the teachers at my school already have a “verified teacher” badge, but I cannot find how to get one??

Can anyone help?

• luciagia says:

The verified teacher badges is awarded once someone on the Edmodo team has verified you are a teacher. You can initiate the process by going to any of the communities and requesting posting rights (this link can be selected from the top of the community stream).

6. David Lopez says:

Great new features! One small request – Can we as teachers also get a notification for the Late Assignments? Either in the main stream/page or maybe in RED on the assignments page so we can tell students that their work is late? Thanks!

7. Rose Andrew1 says:

Hello my dear,
    Complements of the season to you. I wish to express my sincere gratitude to you. My name is Miss Rose Andrew and my contact address is (rose.andrew1@yahoo.com).
    I am a young beautiful girl with full of love and caring and also romantic. well I come in contact with your address and I loved it so i decided to write you this mail. I hope we can click together as one body and soul.

Please I will appreciate if you can use my mail address to contact me directly to my mailbox and at the same time I will show you my picture and you also know more about me. Moreover, I want you to know that distance ,race or religion is never a barrier in the course of love.

Thanks for your love, understanding and co-operation. Please I hope favorably to get your reply, contact me with this email address above.
    Yours sincerely,
    Rose…..

8. Rose Andrew says:

Hello my dear,

Yours sincerely,
    Rose…..

9. Tom Asbury says:

A request that I think a lot of folks would like to see.  Can we get the ability to create subfolders in the Library (or instructions on how if it is already available)?

I will be teaching 3 different classes and coaching the High School Academic team next yr.  I will be completely lost if I have to make a new folder for every chapter/unit for every class (and the team would be a real mess).  I had my 8th graders using Edmodo this past year and they finally started to get the hang of it.  But if it is not easy for me to keep up with I know the high schoolers won’t use it.

If you can help that would be great.

Thanks
    Tom Asbury

10. Greg Thwaites says:

How do I add another staff member to my group or join another staff members group. Especially since we share a class

• Daniel Allen says:

Perhaps give this person the code to “join” your classroom.  Then click on manage and give this person whatever authority you wish that person to have.

• Daniel Allen says:

• Archana says:

First let the teacher join the group with the help of Group code, then you can set that teacher in co-teacher so that all the teachers who are sharing the class will be having all the rights same as owner.
      for that click on see all member then choose the teacher you want to share the rights and in drop down menu you will find three options in which you select co-teacher.
      your problem will be solved.
      Hope this will help you to solve your problem.

11. Renzoghio says:

Necesita ayuda para introducir Calificaciones de alumnos en eEdModo.
    I need help for how to enter grades Edmodo

12. D Simms says:

How can I get my colleague (who has an edmodo profile) to view my treads, be involved in discussions and see assignments submitted by students?

13. Mike Trout says:

We need the ability to load lots of files at a time into the library, also the ability to pick up and drag our files wherever we want them in addition to sub folders. Look at the new Yahoo mail for example.

14. Melodie says:

how come I can’t put the apple with my subject or grades I teach next to my picture?

15. Karen Kroll says:

I see you can add badges to student profiles but can we do this also for teachers.  I would like to model this feature in PD groups for our teachers.

16. Tiffanygriffis says:

lol i teach people about fantasy football what could i as a teacher do

17. Mr.Tristan Griffis says:

my name is actually Mr.Tistan Griffis but i ran out of emails to use because i kept forgetting my passwords

18. Daniel Allen says:

Video:  Is there a way to upload a video onto my edmodo page?  I am a Deaf teacher and I would like to post a video using my first language (via ASL) for my students to view.  I do not want to post my videos through youtube for confidential reasons.   How might I post videos here?  Any future plans on it if we haven’t the feature to include videos?

Thanks!

19. Daniel Allen says:

Thanks!

20. Amy says:

I have a student who is trying to connect as a teacher…how do I report this?

21. nyamat says:

Good nigth, I teacher Indonesia language, I like this comunity to learn any language in the world, I need something to suport my work, so I wait coment from my friend’s at edmodo, thanks

22. zara3248 says:

i love edmodo

23. Daniel says:

Is there a way to search for Edmodo users within your current school or past schools?

24. Sydney says:

Wow! Love edmodo!

25. [...] 1. [Drum roll, please.] We know that your Professional Learning Network (PLN) is critical to both your professional success and personal satisfaction as an educator.  Our number one most read blog post of the year was all about supporting you in creating your PLN - New Release: Make new Connections with Teacher Profiles and Spotlight Updates. [...]

26. Steven Rafter says:

Hello – I would like to know if we are able to send messages to each other or do the ‘connection’ teacher need to be part of a group?

27. alexrelly says:

Teacher I can{t see anything ´cause must be by the mode of teacher

28. Kelly says:

Love edmodo – I have used it for over 2 years, and we use it at our school extensively both for student communication and professional development. Perhaps someone has suggested this, but I would really love if I could somehow seperate my classroom use of edmodo and my professional development use – I find that the posts, etc from the professional development groups I am a part of overwhelm my classes. I know that I can choose to look at specific classes, direct posts, etc. but on my main latest post page, it would be nice to just be able to choose if I want to see things from PD groups, or from classes.
    Thanks for all you have done with this site!

29. Ana says:

Hi everyone.
    I am new to Edmodo but I love it!
    I am a 5th form teacher in the morning and a principal at night.As a principal,I´d like to implement the teacher´s badges among my teachers as well as we do it with our students.Can you please, guide me with this? Thanks.

• luciagia says:

Hi Ana- Teachers can award badges to students, however, they cannot award badges to each other. The badges that teachers receive are based on Edmodo activity and awarded automatically by Edmodo.

30. just know edmodo.com introduced by Mr. Bambang Hadi Prayitno 28/05/2012/Monday. Thanks a lot for all. From GUN-T-U-R- S- U- M- I- -LIH, Surabaya, Indonesia..

31. Ali Erenkol says:

I love Edmodo and its simplicity yet full featuredness. We all love unlimited storage and its colloboration tool.

32. Carlo says:

Hi. I cant get the latest version of edmodo. How can I do that?

33. A parent should be able to view what their children are learning.