Event Details for Tundra Connections Global Webcast- Register Now

October 31st, 2011

Last week we announced that we’ve partnered with Polar Bears International to host 3-days of live global webcasts for the Edmodo community, so you and your students can learn first-hand about climate change, oceans, polar bears, and other arctic animals.  Today we’re excited to provide additional details on the curriculum for each webcast and the experts who will be joining Edmodo Feature Blogger, Andy McKiel, in hosting this exciting journey into the arctic!

TO THE TOP OF THE WORLD-A LOOK AT THE ARCTIC AND ITS BIODIVERSITY
Monday, November 14, 1:00 pm EST
This webcast will focus on the arctic and the ecosystems within it.  We’ll discuss Churchill, the amazing creatures that are inhabitants of this harsh environment and the adaptations that help them do so. Register your class.

NANUQ-THE GREAT WHITE BEAR
Tuesday, November 15, 1:00 EST
This webcast will focus on polar bears, known as Nanuq by the Inuit.  The students will learn about their natural history and specialized physique for living in the arctic.  Specifically, the focus will be on the Western Hudson Bay population of polar bears, the research that is being done on this population and trends scientists are seeing. Register your class.

POLAR DETECTIVES- DISCOVERING WAYS TO HELP POLAR BEARS AND LIVE IN A SUSTAINABLE PLANET
Wednesday, November 16, 1:00 EST
This webcast will focus on the future of our oceans and arctic marine mammals and what we can do to help.  The small changes that we can make to our everyday lives that collectively will make a big change not only for the polar bears, but also for us humans as well. Register your class.

All of the webcasts will be hosted by a panel of experts including:

• John Bruno – Associate Professor of Marine Sciences, University of North Carolina
  • Kassie Siegel – Climate Law Institute Director, Center of Biological Diversity
  • Greg Thiemann – Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies, York University
  • Don Moore – Associate Director of Animal Care, Smithsonian National Zoo
  • Andy McKiel – Edmodo, Curriculum Coordinator, St James Assiniboia School District

We hope you can join us for this special global event.  Be sure to join the Polar Bears International Community on Edmodo to receive updates about the event, access free teaching and learning resources and join the conversation on how to get your classrooms involved.

16 Responses to “Event Details for Tundra Connections Global Webcast- Register Now”

1. Lisa M says:

Very nice, we are studying ecosystems!

2. Bianca Hewes says:

This is going to be EPIC!!

3. [...] – until this happened…I can quite honestly say that being asked to participate in the upcoming Tundra Connections webinars is the most incredible thing that’s ever happened to me.  My head’s been in the clouds for the [...]

4. Daniel Ascher says:

Will these videos be archived and available for later viewing?

5. ruth anderson says:

Lucia, I want to view it myself, I don’t have a class, can I do that? Do I need to register as if I had a class? Please advise. Thanks.
    ruth

• luciagia says:

Of course. You will still need to register. You can specify what subject area you teach, or just mark that you are a member of the general public who wants to watch. Where it asks “number of individuals”, just put down “0″.

6. Anzelmi says:

I registered a class last week but as they have only been learning English for 3 years, I’m afraid they won’t be able to understand and will soon stop listening. I am really sorry because I think it was a marvellous opportunity.

7. Suzanne Riches says:

I asked this question in another place–how do the students ask questions? Do we just use the email address provided on the FAQ or should we be going through Edmodo? If so, where? Thanks!

8. Mandy L Heddle says:

Hi. I am an environmental educator working in Thailand. I’d love to have my students participate, but 1pm with you is 1am with us, and though I am sure some students will be up using the internet at that time, not sure it would go over great with the parents. What resources might be available after the event that I could use with the class? Thanks for any advice as it will also help me figure this out for future events,
    Mandy

9. [...] | Tweet | Edmodo This! First post from Andy McKiel as he sets out on his Tundra connections.  Live webcasts start [...]

10. [...] Specific details about each day’s webinar contents can be found on the Edmodo web page titled “Event Details for Tundra Connections Global Webcast – Register Now“. [...]

11. Miss Critters says:

Hi, if I register my class to view the webcast, how and where do I find the webcast?

12. Susan O'Reilly says:

I teach special education high school in Lewes, Delaware, USA and we are trying this for the first time. I am very excited! I hope all goes well with the connections. Thanks for the opportunity to do this !!!!!