New Release: Join Group URL, More Quiz Enhancements and Greek Language

November 3rd, 2011

We’ve just released a few new features that we think you’ll be excited about! Here’s a quick overview of what’s new:

Join Group URL

Now you can publicize your group and invite others to join, without giving away the group code. The new “request to join URL” is a unique, auto generated URL that you can share with others to invite them to join your group. Upon selecting the URL, the person will have the option to send the group creator a request to join. The group creator will then receive a notification and can approve or deny the person’s request to join that group.

Quiz Enhancements

• Question bank: Once you create a quiz, all the questions will be saved in your personal question bank. The next time you create a quiz, you can load previously created questions, without having to retype them.
  • Weighted questions: When you create a quiz, you now have the ability to weight each question. This means you can award more points for specific questions.
  • Partial credit: Short answer questions can now be marked partially correct. For example, if the question is worth 5 points, and the student’s answer is only partially correct, you can award the student 3 of the 5 points.

Greek Language
The Greek flag has been added to the bottom of the Edmodo page. Select this flag to view Edmodo in Greek! Special thanks to Theodore G. Goutas, the Edmodo educator who completed the translation for the community.

45 Responses to “New Release: Join Group URL, More Quiz Enhancements and Greek Language”

1. gyllian godfrey says:

Love the new quiz features

2. Gina Cox says:

Request to join

3. Oh my goodness, this is fantastic! Thank you! I especially love the join code and the question bank.

I wonder if we can code the questions in the question bank by standard?

4. Or if we could tag the questions? That way we can easily generate questions based on standard, bloom’s level, type, etc.

5. Jason says:

Is it possible to change the name “Quiz”? I like to use it for homework and knowledge checks and I find my students get confused/ scared if it is called a “Quiz”.

• luciagia says:

You are required to provide a title for any quiz you create. This is the only thing the students see when you post it to the group. Therefore, you can name the quiz, “Knowledge Check” and the students won’t think its a quiz.

6. Dawn L. says:

Thanks for the new features including the weighted questions and the addition of the Greek language. Please continue to make edmodo accessible to all people by adding more languages.

7. Mi Mi says:

Can someone tell me how to delete my account, there is nothing bad with edmodo but I just don’t want it and please someone(edmodo staff) my teacher account….

~10-may

8. Bernice K. McConnell says:

1. How do I remove a student from the class list. (Of ten they forget the first account they made and need to make a new one. This becomes confusing.)
    2. How can I get it to show my kids in alphabetical order?
    3. I do I create a blog?
    4. It would be nice if the quiz results could show a graph with all the question numbers, students, and the variable of correctness. This way at a glance I can see 90% missed this question while no one missed this question over here. ..etc..

Love it though!

• luciagia says:

Hi Bernice- To answer your questions:
      1. Select the manage link from your members section. This will take you to your group list and you can remove any student.
      2. This is done automatically on the Manage Members page. You can also download a printer friendly version from this page.
      3. You can create a separate group for your class blog.
      4. When you select the “turned in” button from the posted quiz you will be taken to the Quiz Overview page where you can see a pie chart graph that shows a collective breakdown of correct/incorrect answers for each quiz question.

9. M. Labonté says:

Happy to see the Greek interface show up, but I am still looking forward to the French interface. Do you need a hand in translating things?

10. Suzanne says:

I would love to see Edmodo do simplified Chinese–we need resources.

11. Theresa says:

The quiz features will make up-dating quizzes much faster.

12. Jason says:

I see the filter on the left hand side but It would be great if I could click on a particular student and see only what they posted. This would help in grading their participation.

13. Jeff says:

It’s great that you’re adding new features, but some attention to existing features would be nice.

1. Your assignment submission functionality only tracks submission dates and not times.

2. The submission date is obviously in your time zone, since whenever my students submit a few hours before an assignment deadline, it marks them as having submitted a day _after_ the deadline. This renders your assignment submission functionality useless to our class, since I cannot track who has submitted on time and who has submitted late.

3. Why don’t blank lines in comments show up when the comment is posted? If I’m helping a student out with a question and need to explain a formula or something like that, inserting blank lines helps to delineate things and make them more clear.

4. You should add functionality to automatically zip up all submissions so that I don’t have to go through each student’s submission and download their assignment files one by one.

5. Replies to comments have been appearing out of order off and on this week. This was not an issue before, but I have noticed it quite a bit in the past few days. I’ll reply to someone’s comment, and my reply will show up a few comments above theirs, completely out of order.

14. Delphine Williamson says:

Thanks for all of the new updates. However, it would be really nice if quizzes and assignments that are created show up on both the teacher and co-teachers’ profile so that they both can edit each others assignments and tests as needed. Too, I agree with Haley that when a student turns in an assignment or quiz the time should be noted.

15. Sue says:

My class wants to start the Follow-Me Project with school that have a jaguar as their mascot, anyone interested?

16. Jeff says:

Also, it would be great if the assignment / quiz functionality supported weights. The computed grades are useless — they are a simple sum of all grade percentages divided by the total number of assignments/quizzes. This often results in an over-estimation of a student’s grade.

17. Jeff says:

I see that you’re now tracking submission times. This is a good start, but not all of your users are located in the Valley and therefore we’re not all in PST. It would be great to do some timezone auto-detection on new users (I use a simple but reliable JavaScript-based solution on my site) and provide a drop down list in case the auto-detection doesn’t get it right. Displaying times in other time zones is super easy to do in Rails, which I assume this site was built in.

18. Kelly Hoopes says:

How do you change the order of questions once I’ve typed them in? How can I add a question near the beginning of a test after I’ve already typed new questions below it?

19. Kelly Hoopes says:

Also, can a change be made to the multiple choice quizzes to not set a default correct answer to A? I often write my questions, go back and write in the answer choices and forget to change the answers. It would be better to not set a default and then alert you when you’re trying to assign the quiz that no answer has been selected. This would cut down on the amount of times the wrong answer is selected by the teacher for each question.

20. Kelly Hoopes says:

One last thing…can there be a warning when erasing quizzes that are attached to scores. “Warning: The test you are about to erase has been assigned and is connect to student scores. Are you sure you want to erase?”

21. Jeff says:

I’m noticing that when I save a file, say README.txt, and then later save a file with the same name, you save on S3 the file as README2.txt.

FYI, since earlier this year, S3 allows you to set the content-disposition header when making requests. So, you can save all files using, say, UUID’s (e.g. 2134-1234-2134-1234.txt) and then use the content-disposiiton header to set the filename that will be displayed to the user.

You guys should probably just go ahead and hire me, and I’ll fix all these things I’ve been posting about. :)

22. hi!,I really like your writing very much! percentage we communicate more about your post on AOL? I require a specialist in this space to unravel my problem. Maybe that’s you! Looking forward to peer you.

23. speed dating says:

Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and for my part suggest to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this web site.

24. [...] 11. It was only last month that we announced our Join Group URL feature and quiz enhancements including weighted questions, partial credit and question banks. The release was a big hit among users, and it is our 11th most-read post of the year – New Release: Join Group URL, More Quiz Enhancements and Greek Language. [...]

25. You already know thus significantly relating to this topic, made me individually consider it from numerous various angles. Its like men and women are not involved until it’s one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs excellent. At all times take care of it up!

26. Online says:

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you’ve obtained right here, really like what you are saying and the way in which wherein you say it. You make it enjoyable and you continue to care for to stay it wise. I cant wait to learn far more from you. This is really a terrific website.

27. Nice blog here! Additionally your web site so much up fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink on your host? I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

28. Colee Miller says:

i need help! imma student in tifton ga and i need to know how to join a group

29. Eric Hazlinsky says:

A lot of good features with the quizzes. However two things I have run into, 1 being there is no way to go back into the quiz and edit any possible typos or mistakes. The other is if a student misspells a word in a fill in the blank there is no way to give them credit. Are these things that can be corrected in the future?

30. Danielle says:

When the students take a quiz, is there a way that the questions can be moved out of order or randomly order the answers so that the students cannot cheat?

Can we add audio and pictures to a quiz? I am a music teacher and I want to add music symbols and audio as part of a question

31. Rose says:

Wow ! I am new to edmodo and I am LOVING it !! Thank you so much for creating this invaluable resource ! It

I would love to be able to add pictures to the questions. I teach Graphic Design and would love to be able to include images in the questions.

32. Kailin Fenn says:

I agree with Mr. Hazlinsky–I have students misspelling things all the time and I can’t change their grades to give them credit!

33. Eric Powers says:

What about taking quizzes on the mobile app? I don’t think its possible, but this would be a really nice feature.

34. Andrew Graff says:

Is there any possibility of making quizzes homework assignments? i.e., so that there is not a restriction about returning to the quiz/assignment?

The integration of items from the library is AMAZING. If I could give an Edmodo “quiz” as an Edmodo “assignment”, I can guide student interaction with realia and encourage repeated viewings/readings/listenings that are not stressful when attached to the “quiz” which shows up as a “score”.

The kids do trust me when I say it’s all about the process, but:
    Parents as well as years of tradition make haunches rise when they see a percentage–

Any chance of making homework with the quiz question capabilities?

35. ryan says:

Can you save a quiz on edmodo then come back to it ?