New Release: Mobile Gradebook, Assignment Annotation and More

November 28th, 2011

We released a few new features just before many educators in the US took off for the Thanksgiving holiday.  In case you missed it, following are some highlights of what’s new:

Assignment Annotation via Crocodoc

Teachers can now make comments and edits to student assignments. This is especially useful if you want to just add some quick comments to an assignment without downloading it.

Export Parent Codes for Admins

Administrators can now invite all the parents in their school or district to Edmodo by exporting all of the parent codes for their subdomain. To access this feature, simply toggle to your admin view, navigate to the “Manage” page, and select “Export Parent Codes”.

Time Zones

We have added the ability for users to set the time zone in which they teach to ensure that assignments and quizzes that are turned in on time do not get marked late. To check your time zone, go to Account>Settings and select the appropriate time zone under your personal information.

Mobile Assignments and Gradebook

The latest mobile app allows users to turn in assignments and gives teachers access to their full gradebook. Now students can complete assignments even if they do not have access to a computer and teachers can update grades from virtually any location. Now available on Android, and coming soon to iOS devices! (UPDATE: iOS version is now available).

22 Responses to “New Release: Mobile Gradebook, Assignment Annotation and More”

1. Robin Seneta says:

Can I just say wow! The annotate function is SO awesome! What a great idea! can’t wait for the new Edmodo App to be on IOS !!!

2. Lauren Powell says:

I have students who want to go back and edit their work after I have reviewed their assignment. Is this an option yet?

• luciagia says:

@Lauren – Students do have the option to resubmit an assignment. They can do this by going to the original homework post, selecting the “turned in” button and under the post they will see a button that says “Resubmit this Assignment”.

3. Tricia Louis says:

Cannot wait for this to be on iOS….we are a totally mac in my computer apps class and edmodo is a super way to administer the class!

4. Kris Matchey says:

I love the annotation feature, but why is it available to use when viewing some students submitted assignment and not others?

• luciagia says:

@Kris There are a number of factors that can affect the ability to see the annotate option. A few include – Files over 2 mb in size, using an older version of MS Word (we know Word 1997 is not compatible), or the way a file is named can also affect the ability to annotate (its best not use spaces when naming a file. Instead use an underscore).

5. ksura says:

How can students view the annotations made by their teacher?

• luciagia says:

Any annotations you make are auto-saved. The student can view them by going into their edmodo account and clicking on the assignment they turned in from the original homework post. I’ll be putting together a video that shows this in the next couple days.

6. Brody says:

To get students to view annotations:

I think your supposed to download the PDF file, then when your done looking at the file you upload it, along with your comments and mark, to the student. The best I can see.

• luciagia says:

@Brody, as I noted above, annotations are auto saved so you don’t have to download the PDF file. Students can see the annotations by going back to the original assignment post and clicking on their assignment. If the assignment was graded, the student will be notified and they can click on the assignment when viewing their grade.

7. Matt says:

I do like the new annotate feature, but I miss the preview feature that it replaced. I liked the fact that with preview I could quickly view the document without opening a separate window, which takes more time. . Now that I have to open a new window, it has significantly slowed down my grading process. Is there any way to have both available?

8. [...] week we released a new annotation feature that allows teachers to make comments and edits on student assignments. We received a number of [...]

9. [...] week we announced our new Android app update and today we are pleased to announce the new iPhone and iPad apps are [...]

10. Josh says:

Hello!

Is this update only effecting the iPhone, it doesn’t seem to be working on the iPad.

-Josh

11. [...] week we released a new annotation feature that allows teachers to make comments and edits on student assignments. We received a number of [...]

12. Heather says:

I agree with Matt. I LOVE the annotate feature, but sometimes I only need to preview my students work. Is it possible to have both the annotate feature and the preview feature?

Thanks,
    Heather

13. Kellie says:

Annotation feature is AMAZING. One issue though— Because we use Macs, most of my students will either upload a .pages document or a .odt format document. When will Edmodo allow for those types of documents to be annotated?

14. Dawna says:

This is really great. It would be amazing if it recorded oral comments….any way to add this?

15. lashaundasanders says:

i wonder can i see my daughter grades

16. Shine says:

Can parents see their kid’s works and the teacher’s comments?