8 Ways to Use Edmodo Over the Summer

May 29th, 2012

As the school year ends, many educators are sharing the great ways they plan to use Edmodo over the summer. If you’re looking to stay connected with colleagues and engage students over the summer, here are eight ideas to help you get started, as shared by members of the Edmodo community:

1. Edmodo Summer Camp

“We are using Edmodo this summer for our incoming fifth graders. The only classes at our K-5 elementary with computers are the fifth grade. So we decided this year we would help speed up the learning curve and get students excited about 21st century learning by having an Edmodo Summer Camp. We have a book club, websites for them to learn how to use, apps from the Edmodo app store and just an area to help build community for our classes. So far we have almost half of our students signed up and we have only been out 3 days! The participation has been great so far! We will post tasks and challenges for fun twice a week and award badges to students who complete the assigned task or challenge. I think by using Edmodo over the summer we will see great results in our learning this next year!” - Wes Brownfield

2. Summer Reading Group

“We are using Edmodo over the summer with rising 6th grade students at one of our middle schools. The group is for their summer reading program and will allow students to communicate what they are reading, share book recommendations, and turn in their summer reading book form. It is giving us a chance to play with Edmodo during the summer with teachers and students for a specific purpose and time frame.” – Eve Heaton

Looking for book recommendations? Search the Edmodo Communities for recommendations.

3. Concept Study (for teachers)

“Our English department has decided to do a ‘book study’ of sorts over the summer. We are actually going to do a “concept study.” Each teacher has a concept that they need to find good resources for and an engaging way to teach for 6, 7 and 8th graders.” – Candace Weathersby

4. Alumni Groups

“Teaching fifth grade, we end the year with our students moving on to several different middle schools. It has become a rite of passage for me to ceremonially add my leaving middle school students into my “MAX in Middle School” Group.

Here my leaving group can keep in touch with their friends who are now spread around different campuses. I have also found that my students of previous years welcome them with comments, tips, and suggestions about their upcoming new experience (advice about their new teachers, lunch choices, lockers, and strategies to get to that next class).

Edmodo makes for a smooth and exciting transition.” – Robert Miller

5. Science Projects

“Our science department created an Edmodo group for students to have a venue to discuss their science fair projects. Our summer assignment is for students to decide on a topic and research the topic to be able to design a testable question by the time school starts again in the fall. The group allows students to maintain dialogue with teachers and other students to help with approvals and proper paperwork required before starting experimentation in the fall. The dialogue allows teachers to offer feedback and suggestions when students need it most. At the time learning at its finest.” – Jane Beach

6. Engage New Students

“I plan on keeping in touch with my new students. They got the code for the courses at the end of school so they can join Edmodo. I give summer homework and this was I can answer any problems they might have.” – Marie Jump

7. Host Professional Development Sessions

“I intend to give a summer week-long course on web 2.0 tools and on Glogster. I’d like to use Edmodo as the platform to run the course.” - John Zoccola

” I will be doing a training for the staffs of my two junior high school sites. The first half of the day will focus on Edmodo itself and how teachers can implement it, and the second half of the day will focus on other digital resources the library has available to teachers and how they can help teachers with planning lessons, doing research projects, etc.” – Amanda Sharpe

8. New Teacher Group

Create a group for teachers who are new to your school or are in their first year of teaching. This group can act as a support community to help these new teachers transition. You can use the group to provide support materials, discuss curriculum or answer any questions they may have as they are getting started.

How will you be using Edmodo this summer? Share with us in the comments.

20 Responses to “8 Ways to Use Edmodo Over the Summer”

1. Suzanne Jimenez says:

My Spanish students practice communicating in Spanish over the summer by answering bi-monthly questions and discussing summer activities.

• Ana Varela says:

I teach to heritage language students and would like to give them a summer assignment in Edmodo. Could you explain what kind of assignments or questions you give to your students?
      Gracias!

Ana Varela,
      Preston High School
      Bronx, New York

2. Jan Wells says:

Connecting with next year’s students to have conversations, introduce them to a few ways of how we’ll use Edmodo in 4th grade, and to provide them with some resources to try out this summer.

3. I have already started a summer course for my high school students. My students have chosen a book to read and will be doing assignments based on the reading. They were very excited about the summer course. The course is for students whose English is a foreign language.

Other teachers are invited to join my class
    so we can turn it into an international literature based collaborative learning experience. Please contact me if you are interested. My students are going into grade 11 in September and are 16 years old.

Thank you.

• Karen says:

Hello!
      I am new to edmodo and would love to join your group to see how it works. I also am a teacher of two grade 11 esol classes and am sure my students would love this tool next year.
      Thanks and regards!

4. angela says:

how do i sign up i need help

5. Diane Quirk says:

Teq will be doing many courses for teachers over the summer and will be using Edmodo as a way of collaborating, communicating and sharing with the groups that attend. http://www.teq.com/summer

6. I will be utilizing Edmodo this summer for professional development connections in my iPad classes. I will also use it in August for our summer learning camp students!

7. Due says:

Being retired, I know nothing about Edmodo, but I think it could keep kids engaged in a limited way with school work!!

8. Palmer says:

Hi Leah, I’d love to hear more about the “iPad” class, what apps the students are using, class structure, and if your using tech standards or those alligned to another subject/or core class?

Do all the students have (school provided) their own devices?

Thanks so much, love mine and would like to be able to use for more student integration, rather than just as a teacher tool (display, grades) etc.

Palmer

9. Alexis says:

Hi, my name is Alexis. I am a student of a middle school.
    My teacher made us a class for summer learning over the summer. She posts fun activities to keep our minds strait forward! I love using over the summer for learning. Its like being in a type of virtual learning experience! :-)

10. Jan says:

Our faculty are researching apps on their new iPads in preparation for the coming school year, and Edmodo is part of this research! As their principal, I am looking for apps to help me make the most of classroom visits and “one minute walk-throughs”. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

11. jacob says:

wow thank you for sharing luciagia
    i love this website edmodo +3 Love from NewJersey

12. Mrs. Garcia says:

Every year I open up an Edmodo Summer group for my students as a way to keep in touch, and to give them an opportunity to discuss interesting articles, ideas, etc they have. I post “challenges” regularly that transform into badges, and subscribe it to science related RSS feeds. (I teach 5-8 Science)

13. Our high school counselors will be experimenting with Edmodo over the summer to stay in contact with college bound seniors. We are trying to reduce the phenomenon of “summer melt.” This is where seniors have been accepted to colleges and universities but never show up in the Fall to enroll. We believe students may get side tracked over the summer or simply don’t know how to navigate the final steps that lead to college enrollment. We hope that by using Edmodo, seniors will still have someone they can turn to during the summer months to keep them motivated and answer any final questions.

14. Jennifer Goodson says:

We will be using Edmodo next year to create a research paper support site for all our 11th grade students. Students will watch screencasts, complete assignments and take assessments on all stages of the research writing project. WE will be spending the summer creating these resources and testing them on rising seniors who were unable to complete their graduation paper in their junior year.