Students Cast Their Vote for President

November 5th, 2012

Last week, we launched Edmodo Votes as a way for your students to participate in this year’s election. We asked Edmodo educators to poll their students, in advance of election day, on who they think should be our next president.

Today, the results are in! Votes have been tallied and the following shows the breakdown of how students would vote in this year’s election*:

Will students’ opinions match the results of the election? We’ll have to wait and see tomorrow.

If you’re curious about how swing states voted on Edmodo, here are the results by state:

In addition to the Edmodo Votes initiative we also took a look at how students were talking about key election issues.  The following is a breakdown of what issues were being talked about most on Edmodo by both teachers and students.

Big thanks to everyone who participated in Edmodo Votes! We were overwhelmed by the number of responses and excited to see so many educators engaging their students around the democratic process, civic responsibility, and what it means to be a well-informed citizen.

View our previous post The Election and the Student Perspective, for a look a breakdown of how students were talking about each candidate on Edmodo.

*Polls were administered on Edmodo by teachers. The outcome represents a portion of students and is not reflective of the entire Edmodo student population.

40 Responses to “Students Cast Their Vote for President”

1. Amy Rogers says:

My class will not only compare the Edmodo votes outcome to the National election, but also other student online voting outcomes (studies weekly.com, scholastic, nickelodeon, etc.)

2. Donna Dolan says:

My students were split right down the middle. This will be an interesting election night.

3. From my view, this was a great exercise in US presidential elections and the right to vote.

It’s quite alarming to see global warming ranking as the lowest (6%) of the key issues for students! I thought this paradigm had shifted?!

• Rory Morse says:

We often think that we have the right to vote, but we do not. We are afforded the opportunity to do so. The constitution has never granted this right to anyone. It has however been amended to say that we cannot discriminate on certain grounds.

• Ben Orkins says:

I was so surprised too

4. Rick says:

You teach a powerful lesson when you exclude candidates. When given more choices (Libertarian and Green Party candidates, Obama and Romney get far fewer votes.

• Elena says:

I agree! I gave the students three choices:
      A. Barack Obama
      B. Mitt Romney
      C. Third party or independent nominee.

A lot of students asked me what choice C meant. They didn’t know that there were more than 2 people running for president–what an eye opener!

• Emily says:

Not every state had a choice C. North Carolina had only two. I wonder who would have won had more candidates been on the ballot. I guess it depends on whether the other candidates were farther left or right of the two old-party candidates.

• Vicki says:

Actually, North Carolina had three candidates in my area. The two prominent ones and Gary Johnson who I believe was a Libertarian.

5. Beth Peters says:

I am disappointed that this is only about Obama and Romney. In NY state there were 6 parties with ballot status running presidentail candidates. I set my poll up with all 6 and we talked about the campaigning and the lockouts and much more. If we are going to educate our children to be truely free citizens then lets do it right and honestly. What purpose does it serve to only report on the obvious? My students are better than that and deserve better than that.

• Laura says:

Good point, Beth! It’s frustrating as a voter that some of the candidates I supported were not invited to the debates. We should include more than just the two main parties. That’s when we’ll start to see real change in the government!

6. Amy says:

Can’t wait until the morning!

7. Tarrah Reed says:

My 3rd grade class held a school widegrowth election. Our results were close to what is being said here, but 54% to 46%! Guess we’ll see!

8. David Raymond says:

My three classes predicted a Romney win 42-20. The question to my overwhelmingly Black student population was “Who do you think will win the election?”

• Amy Rogers says:

Mine were similar to yours 41:18 Romney.

• Andre Enceneat says:

Interesting result, but predictable based on the wording of the question and the demographic that you listed. The question of Who Do You Think Will Win the Election will illicit a response based on what the adults around them are saying. Many adults feared a repeat of Bush-Gore election debacle, and thought that the election would once again go to a republican candidate. If the question had been worded, “Who do you hope wil win the election?”, you would have received a different result.

• Andre Enceneat says:

Oh…and by the way, I am an African American teacher who teaches in primarily black and hispanic schools.

9. Cara Moore says:

This was so much fun Edmodo! Thanks for giving our students this opportunity. Romney won our Edmodo election, which is no surprise; our small community is very Republican.

10. Mildred Allen says:

The students at Lake Rim had a mock election on Friday 11/2/12 and they were quite aware of the process. I think this experience will enhance the understanding overall of our future lraders. “Good job Students”.

11. Mildred Allen says:

Sudents of the CCS systems rock.

12. Samantha says:

I find it interesting that social issues are not on there at all. Marriage Equality was a big issue in 4 states and Obama’s historic support of it was important as well.

13. Lareina says:

We did our own presidential election in my school and our outcome was 55% Romney and 45% Obama. We matched our state of KY.

14. Ronald Smith says:

My students are in 7th grade. They are predominately Hispanic, and they voted 108 for President Obama and 18 for Governor Romney. They are very excited to see the final results of this Edmodo poll. All they wanted to talk about yesterday was the election. Our school was a polling site, so they got to see how many people turned out to vote, and the excitement of the people standing in line to vote and the candidates that were on our campus.

• Laura says:

My EL students voted vast majority Obama too. I had around 45 students vote. Only 1 voted Romney, 3 voted “other” and the rest were for Obama. It has a LOT to do with their stances on immigration.

15. Valerie says:

Did you reveal how many students participated in the vote??? That would be interesting to know and it would give the 60% more meaning. Thank you

16. Jeff Cosier says:

I was wondering, what was the total number of votes?

17. Joyce Martin says:

Amazing how closely the students votes matched the nation’s votes for President!

18. Sonny Stowe says:

My adult ESOL students here in Va. Beach, VA (a city overwhemingly “red” in an Obama won swing state) voted 88% Obama!

19. Alice Powell-Brown says:

My special needs student voted early in the morning and I used it to show him about making choices. It also gave me an exercise in how set up his choices without leading him to an answer. Without getting too uptight and pouting, I think this was an awesome exercise. On a personal note, my personal two children in high school are in a government class and they were watching numbers and asking questions about the whole process. Thank you news channels and school for creating an environment for teaching.

20. angela alford says:

I do not teach in the Social Studies department so I can not speak on whether they discussed the election.
    Today in my school, no one mentioned the election, the results, or anything political. I have not heard a teacher or student say one word about it. It’s almost as if nothing happened.
    I was shocked since this is the # 1 topic in the news around the world. We do want to make connections to the real world, correct?
    I don’t get it… we say the pledge to our nations’ flag everyday yet we can not announce the victory of our President.
    Perplexed

21. Mitchell Maxwell says:

I had my 85 6th grade students vote and they overwhelmingly chose Barrack Obama. They really enjoyed the discussions we had in class and the idea that they were actually getting to vote!

22. Dawn says:

Students are going to choose Barack because that’s all they can remember. Also, they are so easily influenced by their parents.

23. Le Clair says:

My students have had a great time following the presidential campaign. Although many of my students were in favor of Obama, we debated both sides. Today ALL students came to school excited to discuss the results. Many claimed they watched Obama’s Victory speech and could recite issues they were in favor of and excited to see if Obama follows through! The activity was a great experience.

24. Betty Chism says:

Most of my students voted for President Obama because they equated Miit Romney with programs that he would cut and they figured these cuts would impact their lives.

25. Steve says:

My students overwhelmingly voted for Obama. The reasons are similar to Betty Chism’s given ones. The key difference, I think, is that I teach in a school with an 86% poverty rate among which 96% of the students are Latino and am a short distance from the Mexican border. The students have had many discussions pertaining to programs that help, or may soon, their lives and ones that Romney might have put on the chopping block. While I put candidates from both the Green and Libertarian parties, zero votes were given to either.

26. This rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )

27. […] to say who they’d vote for. Teachers coordinated voting among classrooms and groups, and the results were compiled a day before the actual election – presaging a landslide victory for President Obama and […]