Principal David DeRosa Shares How Edmodo Has Made His School a Community
Posted by: Lucia Giacomantonio
This post is part of our Edmodo Spotlight series which highlights Edmodo teachers, schools and districts. If you are interested in being featured, please complete this form.
David DeRosa is the Principal of JL Crowe Secondary, a grade 8-12 school in Trail, BC, Canada.
A Framework for School Community
As Principal of a grade 8-12 school, I have the the unique opportunity to see an exceptionally broad perspective of how Edmodo has become our ‘go to’ tool.
Despite the ubiquitous nature of hand held digital devices (HHDDs) and the multitude of online social and professional communities, educators and educational leaders typically struggle to find relevant learning connections and uses for these powerful tools in schools.
Edmodo is a safe social network for students, and we use it as the bigger-picture framework for our school community to coordinate, integrate and effectively implement digital literacy innovations. Some of our innovations include:
- Support for school-level communication between educators (PVP, teaching, counseling and education assistants)
- Communication with parents
- Professional development (PLNs)
- Distribution of blended learning activities online
- Promotion and scheduling of co-teaching initiatives
Edmodo is also the platform we encourage students, who bring their own digital devices to class, to use.
I discovered Edmodo in 2011, and I find more effective uses for it weekly. Our next step is to use Edmodo to coordinate our school-wide course registration process and to provide both guidance and support for our new students transitioning into high school. In the future, we want to find ways to deliver information to students and parents via their mobile devices (HHDDs).
Our Favorite Edmodo Features
- Organizing lessons on Edmodo let’s parents, students and peer tutors access the lesson before, during or after it happens at their own pace depending on the needs of the learner.
- Embedding video and slides with apps like Scoop.it and Timeline TV.
- Assigning writing assignments with Edmodo makes it impossible for students to lose homework
Advice for Teachers Getting Started With Edmodo
Find a way to connect with another experienced Edmodo user through Edmodo’s PLN resources and take a full day to grow professionally. Edmodo can work for teachers the way teachers want and need it to work.