The New Edmodo Is Here

July 15th, 2013

Following last week’s post, we are excited to announce the launch of the newest version of Edmodo. You can now experience the changes you read about for yourself. Jump in now and discover a simpler way to run your classroom on Edmodo!

If you have any questions, visit our updated Help Center to learn more. As always, our fabulous support team is available to answer your questions and help you explore the new layout and features.

Ready to get started? Here’s a step-by-step tour of what to expect in Edmodo’s newest version:

38 Responses to “The New Edmodo Is Here”

1. Christian says:

I can’t log into Edmodo after this new update. I type my username and password and click login but nothing happens. It seems that no links on the login page work at all.

• Hi Christian – Thank you for voicing your issue. This is actually a known bug that our Tech Team is working to solve right now. Would you please email us at support@edmodo.com so we can take a closer look at this issue and keep you updated via email about its resolution?

Also, this has been mostly occurring when people are using Safari, so in the meantime we suggest using an alternative browser like Chrome or Firefox. Thanks!

• scot says:

we’re having the same problem. we have found that we can log in using internet explorer 8, but not 9. Chrome doesn’t work either. This is only at school. No one is reporting problems at home. Now, edmodo used to work fine at school up until we started school yesterday. There were no problems anywhere last spring with the same browsers and computers. Our IT guys said this happened earlier this summer and something about ‘redirects’ on your end causing our issues.

• Hello SST and Brian – thank you for reaching out. To clear up some confusion, the Quiz feature is not yet available on the iPad. However, we have been working hard on this, and are very close to adding Quizzes into the iPad, so you will be able to acces them via the iPad app very soon. In the meantime, Quizzes can still be accessed on an iPad but using Safari, or another browser, to access the full web version. As for the issue with links in posts not working, this is a bug that we are working on and should also be fixed very soon. Thank you for all the feedback. Please check back for Quizzes and the bug fixes soon!

2. Tom Walton says:

Er, what happened to tags?!

• Hello Tom – a common question! The tag feature is temporarily removed from the latest version of Edmodo. However, your tags will be brought back in archived form within a few weeks of the release. This means that you will no longer be able to tag in Edmodo, but if you had tags in the past, you will still be able to access them within a few weeks.

A solution to staying organized without tags would be to create folders for the same categories you had tags for and then when you see a post you’d like to tag, select “Add Post to Library” from the Post Settings Icon on the far right of post. This will be added to your library and then you can move it to the folder you’d like to place it into.

I hope this helps!

• Tom Walton says:

Thanks for the reply and yes, that’s a partially solution…

But I do think that’s something Edmodo is missing — tags, to prevent stuff getting lost in the stream.

• Anthony Chua says:

Dear Edmodo,

tags was a very useful feature as it allowed users to categorise the posts across multiple categories simultaneously, your quick fix does not address this function as I do not want to have to add the same post to multiple folders.

Please consider bringing tags back permanently if you are really serious about making edmodo more user-friendly.

Thanks.

3. Laura says:

Thank you for the amazing changes you’ve made! I love Edmodo’s brand new look! And finally I can reach the Store from Italy!
    Thanks a lot and…go on like this!
    Laura
    (Italian’s teacher in a Primary School that uses Edmodo with success)

4. USLEnglish says:

The new look is fine but gosh it ruined everything.
    Several test that I have sent to my students appear as “Deleted” now, it is more difficult to set the language that you want the students profile to be in, it takes a life to load adter you clic any options.
    Thanks for the intention but I think we´ll start looking for a new platform to migrate the half a thousand students we´ve got.
    Thanks.

• Hello – We are sorry that you do not enjoy the new look, but hope that you find the new edition to be even more useful than before once you get used to the new changes. Please keep in mind that you can always receive help and support with the new edition in our Help Center at http://www.support.edmodo.com or by emailing support@edmodo.com

Please note that a student can set their profile to be in 8 different languages by clicking on the “Language” menu at the bottom of the page as they are signing up for their account, or while they are on any Edmodo page.

As for your issue with deleted tests or quizzes, we apologize for this inconvenience. It would be great if you could email us at support@edmodo.com with a description of the issue and your browser/device information so we can investigate this issue and solve the problem.

Feel free to explore our Help Center and reach out to us at support@edmodo.com at any time. We hope that we can help you get the most out of the new Edmodo!

5. Kristin says:

Is there no possibility of having public posts and having a page of those now? I use Edmodo partially to post daily work for absent students, and I like to have this available for parents as well by making those posts public. It is FAR easier on both parents and myself to put give them just a website to visit for these posts than walk everyone through how to create a parent account. I will be very disappointed in Edmodo if this isn’t available now, and I may have to consider using a different website for my online classroom management.

6. Barry says:

So Edmodo updates the ipad app… and now has made it impossible to click ‘full site’ on Safari for the ipad! The update doesn’t come with any form of blog post or how-to guide either. And as far as I can see, there is no way of doing the most basic, rudimentary things I could do a week or so ago, such as viewing students in my classes!

As for the ‘new features’ mentioned, there is no change log on the App Store to say what these are. As I struggle to navigate this beast of an app, it seems that these are either aesthetic, or a couple of minor usability featurs that would be bottom of my wish list. So what have we gained from all this? I see no work annotation feature for iPads… Still no subdirectories in the folders. Removal of key features such as tags as mentioned before.

I feel that this roll-out was unnecessary if it brings none of the sought-after killer features above. What makes it worse is the limitations now imposed, and the lack of even a shortened bullet-point blog post pointing out exactly what we have gained,

I am panicking, and have lost quite a bit of faith in Edmodo. PLEASE sort it out. I would rather pay for this service yearly than undergo such ridiculous changes for no real benefit.

• Sam says:

Hi Barry,

We are hoping to make a better mobile experience than ever before. Our app does not have all the features of the Desktop version at this time, but we are working tirelessly to improve our app in the coming weeks. You can continue to use the Full Web version of the app on your iPad’s browser for now if you find you are unable to complete a task on the iPad app. We now direct iPad’s directly to the Full Web version of Edmodo so you should not have to make the choice between Mobile and Full Web. If you are stuck on the mobile version of the site please try clearing the cookies and cache of Safari in your iPad’s settings.

Our team is hard at work adding features to our app and hope to include many important features soon. You can find guides and information on the new app in the mobile section of help.edmodo.com. We are going to keep adding features to make the app even better and I apologize that all the functionality you want was no in on day 1. If you have any questions or additional feedback please send me an email at sam@edmodo.com Thanks for your patience and enjoy the latest version of the app as we update and improve it.

7. JD says:

We began using Edmodo for PD last year. As each department added a post, they tagged it with shared tags. Department members could easily sort they posts while the entire staff could look at posts from other areas as well if desired.

Now all the posts are mixed and we are hearing a number of complaints, including, “Let’s go back to Ning.”

We will continue to use Edmodo for students, but may be forced to move staff if the general post stream can not be better organized.

• Hello JD – Thank you for your feedback. The tag feature has been temporarily removed from the latest version of Edmodo, however, your tags will be brought back in archived form within a few weeks of the release. This means that you will no longer be able to tag in Edmodo, but if you had tags in the past, you will still be able to access them within a few weeks.

A solution to staying organized without tags is to create folders for the same categories you had tags for and then when you see a post you’d like to tag, select “Add Post to Library” from the Post Settings Icon on the far right of post. This will be added to your library and then you can move it to the folder you’d like to place it into.

We apologize if this is not ideal for you, but are definitely listening to user feedback, so thank you for your input.

8. SST says:

Having issues with the app version of Edmodo. Created a quiz, but students could not access this on their iPads. When they entered Edmodo through Safari the quizzes were there. Please fix this bug. Also iPhone app version will not allow me to click on links in posts. At the moment the app versions are not worth the update. I just ran a PD at school on the benefits of Edmodo- now look foolish. Edmodo should be intuitive now it is clunky and tricky to navigate.

• brian says:

Same problem here. We noticed that Ipads are displaying the new, updated Icon for Edmodo, but our desktop computers (where we pushed the quizes from) still have the old “e” icon. Can’t find an update for the desktops anywhere.

Quizes are showing up fine on older versions of Edmodo on Ipdas, so it looks like a version problem to us.

Thanks to whoever can help us past this.

• Lisa says:

I’m having the same issue. We have new iPads and installed the Edmodo app; however, my Quiz isn’t showing up in the app. Therefore, students need to use their browser to take the quiz. Is there a workaround for this?

• Lisa – Please contact our support team at support@edmodo.com and they can look into this.

• Hi Lisa – thanks for reaching out about this. Quiz taking was recently enabled on the app, so you may have an older version of the app. I recommend that you and your students download the latest version of the app, and your students should be able to take the Quizzes. However, you cannot yet create Quizzes on the app, so please do this either on a mobile browser or computer. I hope this helps! :)

9. TracyBluebird says:

I am very disappointed in the new format. It’s like educational Facebook, but facebook is not educational, it’s a mess, a blob.

Students are having difficulty submitting assignments, parents can’t find files, my screen looks nothing like theirs so had to create a fake student so I could troubleshoot knowing what they were seeing. I spent more time trying to explain the changes to parents than I did doing useful educational tasks.

I have a number of students who try to log on, and have had an account previously. It recognizes the email, so does not let them create a new account, but does not let them reset their password.

The number one complaint. 5pm on a school night before a test, DOWN FOR SITE MAINTENANCE??????? I had promised my students I would download a practice test, and we could talk about any questions. Posting it at 8 pm would be a waste.

Make it about education and functionality, and not looking cool and being a marketing tool. It is a bomb.

10. Maddalena says:

Where did the feature to that showed you if an item was viewed and who has logged on? I loved that feature.

Also the grades do not appear in the same way when looking at an assignment for the full list.

Are these features gone? Notifications are not syncing between web and devices either.

11. Katy says:

My daughter has been given a username and password at school and can log in at school without any issues. But she cannot log in on either our laptop or ipad at home. Is this a common issue and please can you advise how to resolve? Many thanks

12. Jorge Reynoso says:

I am having an issue with the dates being off by one day. I assign things to my kids that are due today for example and they read due for tomorrow on their end. Is that an issue with the local machines clock?

• Hello Mr. Reynoso, thanks for reaching out about this. Most likely, this is being caused by the time zone settings on either your account, or your students’ accounts. Please go to “Me” > “Settings,” and make sure your time zone is set correctly. Then, instruct all of your students to do the same, and make sure their time zones are the same as yours.

Once you and all of your students have the same time zone, then this issue should be cleared up. I hope this helps, but please let us know if this persists! :)

13. Lauren says:

I read that the quizzes were added to the app but it isn’t working for me or my students.

14. Lauren says:

Or maybe quizzes only work on ipads and no other app yet?

• Brooks says:

Hello Lauren, thanks for reaching out about this. Yes, quiz-taking is only enabled on the new iPad app. On other mobile devices, you can still take quizzes, but not within the app yet. Please use a browser to go to http://www.edmodo.com, and access the full-web version. You will then be able to take quizzes. I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any further questions, and have a great day.

15. Sarah says:

I used Edmodo last winter for a course, and I am just now checking back in again. I would like to add that eliminating tags is a major downgrade. The clunky “add to folder” work-around is inefficient – I would need about 15 folders, and then students have to know which one to look in. Enabling hashtag filtering (a la Twitter) would be a great improvement.

16. I highly dislike the new update. It does not notify me when i have a new assignment and it isa disadvantage to me. Also, having all the notifications there is very unorganized and i do not like it. It is not organized and the update was not worth it. I liked the old edmodo. This one is not cooperating with me.

17. Emilia says:

I’m more than happy to discover this website. I want to to thank you for ones time for
    this fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and i also have you bookmarked to see new stuff in your site.

18. How can I change mobile version to full web version on my android phone ?