Assignment Turn-In & Grading System Launched

October 7th, 2008

When we launched Edmodo just a little over a month ago our assignment system was pretty much just a notification for assignments.  We are proud to announce a complete Assignment Turn-In and Grading system has been added to Edmodo.

After a teacher has posted an assignment in Edmodo a student will see a link to turn-in the assignment in the assignment post.

Edmodo Assignment Turn-In Link

When the student has completed their assignment according to the teachers instructions, they are ready to “turn-in” their assignment by clicking on the Turn-In link.

Once the Student turns in their assignment the post will then be marked as “waiting” for their teacher to grade the assignment.

Once students turn in assignments, the teacher will be notified.

Now the assignment is ready to grade. We currently only have 1 student in this demo class, but all your students would show up in the following screenshot for your classes.

Time to review & grade!!!

Once you’ve graded the assignment your students will be notified of their grade in Edmodo.

Please let us know what you think of the Assignment Turn-In & Grading System. We are striving to make Edmodo as best we can and make it a first class learning platform.

48 Responses to “Assignment Turn-In & Grading System Launched”

1. Jason Rhode says:

Can Assignment Turn-in & Grading be turned off if desired by the instructor to prevent confusion when used in conjunction with a learning management system?

2. Jason Rhode says:

3. Tom Scheeler says:

Is there a place where the instructor can see all of the group members and their grades for each assignment? Maybe an export out to Xcel, which can import into my grade book.

4. Tom Scheeler says:

5. admin says:

Tom, not now but this is definitely future functionality we want to build. We have talked about this already.

6. admin says:

7. Kristi Henkels says:

Is there a way for students to edit their turned in assignments or redo them?
    Thanks,
    Krsiti

8. Kristi Henkels says:

Is there a way for students to edit their turned in assignments or redo them?
    Thanks,
    Krsiti

9. admin says:

Kristi, not at this time, but I could see this being added in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Jeff

10. admin says:

-Jeff

11. David Rhoades says:

Is there or could there soon be a way to grade assignments one right after the other without having to click “back to recipients” and hunt for the next ungraded assignment?

(Loving the site, by the way!)

–David

12. David Rhoades says:

(Loving the site, by the way!)

–David

13. Kylene says:

What happens when you put a due date on an assignment and not all students have it turned in? Are they blocked from turning it in? If not, that would be a nice feature to add. Also, if you want to unblock it for a student that has been absent, could you do that on an individual basis. Otherwise, I would like it to be blocked so students can no longer post their assignment after the due date so they know that due dates are due dates! Thanks! My students love it and are participating so much more in class now while blogging online.

14. Kylene says:

15. admin says:

Kylene, We don’t have a way to lock out turned in assignments once they are past due at this time. If you go into the grade portion of the assignment, you will see under where you assign a grade the due date & the date turned in. I think it’s up to the teacher to assign an appropriate grade if it’s after the due based on your rules. Some teachers allow students to turn in assignments after but take points off, so automatically locking a student out wouldn’t be appropriate. We are trying to make things simple by not giving a ton of options that teachers have to learn.

16. admin says:

17. Walter says:

pretty bad feature i must say

18. Ben Nevas says:

A difficulty that I have been having with my students is file compatibility. When turning in homework, students often make mistakes such as saving the name as (student.student) instead of (student.doc), and these sorts of errors. There are also compatibility issues with various text editors, especially with the new Vista software, .docx. These issues have caused me to discontinue use of the homework turn-in feature, but I think if Edmodo had a built-in text editor, students could cut and paste in their assignments, and have everything in the same format.

19. Kitty says:

One thing I'd really like to see is something to replace ExamView's learning and test center. I was able to upload an ExamView test, the students could take it, the computer would grade it and send me a report. Any possibility of doing something like that?

20. Kathy says:

I have a problem. My teacher told me to submit my new answers but I can't because the 'turn in' already changed to 'grade' and I can't turn in anymore. If I just post it, my other classmates will see my answers. How can I submit my answers again?

21. Jeff O'Hara says:

You can ask your teacher to delete your “turned-in” assignment and resubmit it.

-Jeff

22. Kathy says:

Thank you very much!

23. Kathy says:

Thank you very much!

24. lakebi says:

I’m a teacher of middle school (gr. 7-8) and really like the assignment turn-in and grading system. I use it every day.

Biggest problem: students turn in assignment, realize they made mistake, want to turn in again, and can’t without teacher deleting.
    Suggested Fix: Create feature for teacher to accept assignment. That way, teacher can wait until class is over or other decided time and student has ability to re-submit assignments.

2nd biggest problem: When grading assignments, once you post a grade and return to group to grade another, you don’t automatically go back to where you were in the list and have to search for the group and then the next student.

3rd biggest problem: Teacher comments when assignment is graded is not very visible. Students don’t readily see it.
    Suggested fix: Make it larger, more colorful, or other graphic device so students see it more easily.

Thank you though, Edmodo, for easily the best teacher tool to come along in years!!!

25. Rinazamora says:

thank’s…..<3

26. Prevosg says:

Hello. Loving Edmodo. I’m in a small alternative school setting with few students. They are liking the online format. One little hitch so far though: student turned-in assignment, graded assignment, post grade. The mark appears on the students grade list but not on mine? Any suggestions?

• Jeff O'Hara says:

If you send an assignment to an individual student and not the group the assignment will not appear on the class grade book. If you sent the item to whole group it should.

27. Larabutler1972 says:

Is there a way for a student to edit their assignment before the teacher grades it? The students were working on the assignment, the bell rang, and they never finished. The only option was to submit or they have to start over. Is there a way for them to leave it and go back to edit it later if they don’t finish?

28. Rockethound says:

Is there a way to add assignments that the students don’t turn in? I’d like to keep ALL my grades in Edmodo, but can’t figure out how to add grades for class presentations or other work that isn’t actually submitted to me as a file or link.

29. Josh gold says:

I want my students to use this on their ipads, is there anything in the near future for making so the app or the web based version can upload a document either from another app or from the photo library?

30. Shieldsk says:

So, I used the assignments and love this feature but now we are in a new marking period and I want to archive the past assignments by end date.  I don’t want to delete them because the students want to keep a log of their work, as do I.  Is there anything I can do to set a new date for the accumulated percentages? This would let me leave the initial assignments untouched but would only base the score on their current marking period.  Thanks,
    Kathy Shields
    shieldsk@fultonschools.org

31. Blake says:

Is there any way to give each assessment/assignment a different weighting towards their final percentage? I would love to use the gradebook function to keep the students’ parents informed but its sitting idle at the moment as our tests and assignments are weighted differently…

32. Josh says:

Hello!

Any idea when turning in assignments will be supported on the iPad?

Thanks!

-Josh

33. Katie says:

I agree– would love upload support from the ipad.

34. Chris C says:

I have students claiming the due date is showing differently for them than it is for me. Is this possible??? We are an international school, not located in the U.S., does the Edmodo site try to show a different date for different students based on their time zone or something else like this? If so, this is a horrible feature!

Help!

35. Lisa says:

Is there any way to close an assignment so that students can no longer submit anything after the due date. I just had to delete the entire assignment when I really wanted the students to have it as a reference. I’m tempted to close my account and stop using it if deleting the assignment is the only option.

36. Monia says:

Can a teacher release all grades at once rather than letting the students see their assignments one by one? (in a large class, some assignments might take a couple of days to grade, the teacher would not want some students to know their grade before others)

37. Lisaq says:

Is there a way to mark an assignment as turned in and/or graded manually? Some of my assignments are google docs. I receive their answers through the google doc, so even though it has been done, it doesn’t need to be turned in through Edmodo. The problem is that I can’t grade anything that hasn’t been turned in to Edmodo.

38. Sergio R. says:

Once assignments have been submitted and graded, is there a way to make them public so that the entire group/class can see students’ assignments?

If not, is there a way to use in replies to posts instead?

39. Abby Sanderson says:

When does the due date count something as “late”? For example, if I have a due date set for Tuesday, does Edmodo count it late if it’s not in by Tuesday night at midnight, or is is late if it’s not in Monday night at midnight?
    Thanks!!

40. Saach says:

How can use some form of marking ruberic in Edmodo?

41. Willa says:

i have the correct time zone but assignments locks before the schedule time why is this and how do i fix it?

42. Is there a way to change the posted due date of an assignment that has already been posted? I need to extend an assignment to a week later.