Parent Accounts: A Quick Refresher

July 28th, 2011

Parent accounts are a great way to keep your students’ parents informed of classroom activities, assignments, grades and school events.

The registration process for parents is similar to student registration, with one additional security measure – each parent will need their own unique parent code to register. This is to ensure that parents can only interact with you and with their child.

The video below provides instructions on how to obtain parent codes. We also have created a Sample Letter you can send parents to invite them to Edmodo.

If you’re already taking advantage of parent accounts on Edmodo, we’d love to hear your ideas on how to make the most of them. Share with us in the comments!

14 Responses to “Parent Accounts: A Quick Refresher”

1. Lisa M says:

I just started using Edmodo last year, so when you guys rolled out Edmodo for Parents, I was kind of nervous about trying it.  This year, I will incorporate it. As a matter of fact, at some point in September, I am going to invite my parents in to become familair with th tech I am using in my class. Thanks for the refresher!

2. Knapperr says:

Parents should be included on any “personal” direct teacher/student communication for security. “No secret relationships” and fewer potential risks.

3. Guest says:

Does anyone know how to make the parent accounts read only? I would rather that they communicate with me via email.

4. Kathrynlemons says:

Isn’t there a way to get this sample letter in a form that we can edit it?  We need to add the code, etc. into the letter.

5. Anonymous says:

If I don’t want to go through the process of writing individual letters to 182 parents with individual codes would my best bet just be to put my edmodo account on public so they can see it without creating an account?

• Jared Murphy says:

Edmodo creates a spreadsheet of your student names and parent codes.  You can use the parent letter in Word and use the Mail Merge feature to add the student names and parents codes to the letter automatically.  When you print the letter, it prints every one with their own info on it.  I just did it last night and it worked great!

6. Jenn Broekman says:

Is it possible to create more than one parent code for a given student, or more than one parent login per code? I don’t want to run into problems with divorced parents having to share an account and password. Also, with parent permission, I was thinking of including coaches in the conversation, which would also require a separate ‘parent’ login.

• Mrs Whitfield says:

I am curious about this as well.
      Is there a limit to how many parents can use this code?

I’m also looking at the idea of using the parent code with special education teachers who support the student through their individual studies classes.

7. Venice F says:

I can’t see the new assignments that the teachers are posting each night. My son can see it under his student access, but with my parent sign on, I can’t. Also, he shows overdue assignments that aren’t overdue. Could this be causing the glitch?

8. Rosco says:

How to I find my school code?

9. Clayton says:

I’m new to Edmodo (love it so far!) and was considering having parents use the regular student code to sign up with… any forseeable issues with that? I teach high school math/science if that’s relevant to your responses.