Back to School with Edmodo: 5 Steps to Getting Started

August 2nd, 2011

Looking to integrate Edmodo into your classroom curriculum this year? Here are 5 steps to help you get started:

1. Sign up

If you don’t already have an Edmodo account, visit Edmodo.com and sign up. Registration is free and takes less than a minute!

2. Adjust your settings and notifications

Once you’ve created your account, visit your settings panel. Here you can add your profile picture, indicate your school and adjust your privacy settings. You can also choose the types of notifications you’d like to receive (i.e. if you want to be notified of new group members, new messages, etc.) and how you would like to receive them (text or email).

3. Create your groups

Now that your account is set up, the next step is to create your groups. Decide on how you want to label and organize your groups (i.e. by period, subject area, etc.), then click the “create” link (located on the left-hand panel) and complete the details of your group. After your group has been created, a 6-digit code will be displayed on the right-hand side of the page. This is the code you will give your students to enable them to join the group.

4. Organize your libraryAs you’re preparing your lesson plans for the new school year, upload any resources you plan to share with your students to your Edmodo Library. Examples of resources you might want to upload include helpful links, videos, rubrics, worksheets, etc. Storing this content in your library will make it easy to share with your Edmodo groups when the time comes.

5. Invite your students

Once school begins, you’re ready to invite your students. If your students have used Edmodo in the past, they do not need to set up a new Edmodo account. They can simply use their existing username and password. If your students are new to Edmodo, provide them with the 6-digit group code and have them sign up for a student account.

BONUS STEP! – Invite other teachers at your school to join Edmodo and encourage your school’s IT director to claim a school or district subdomain. Subdomains enable members of your school to easily communicate with each other via your own Edmodo community. It also provides school administrators with additional management and analytic features.

For a demo of the core features and functionality of Edmodo, join our Introduction to Edmodo Webinar, held every Tuesday at 4:00 pm EST. Sign up now.

19 Responses to “Back to School with Edmodo: 5 Steps to Getting Started”

1. J Hobson says:

Edmodo is great for primary schools with small number of classes. But it breaks down for serious deployment. We have nearly 600 different classes (1000 students) which meant it was a nonstarter due to its lack of scalability as it hasn’t the tools to set up this number of classes in a reasonable timescale. It’s a pity as it’s very usable tool.

• Betsy says:

it sounds like you are trying to launch Edmodo from a centralized point, creating all of the classes at once?  Typically, each teacher will set up their own classes.  We do have a team who can help you with implementation – we have many large school districts using Edmodo, so we should be able to easily help you overcome some of your challenges.   Feel free to email me at betsy@edmodo.com – I’m happy to put you in touch with the School and District Adoption team.

2. Gabrielarossozecca says:

I have a doubt, and people in my district have it too. We don’t know what connections mean, what is the advantage to be connected to someone. Can anyone explain that to me?
    Thanks, Gabriela, from Argentina

3. Kara says:

wow i have no idea what is going on with edmodo but i am geting mad

4. Lozada says:

I visited the webinar yesterday and was given a code to view the powerpoint but it did not work.  Did I copy it wrong or am I doing something wrong.  I enter the cod 61ulgi in the join group tag and it said it was not a valid code.  Help please.

5. Shalon says:

I teach elementary school and started my class with Edmodo last year.  Do I need cancel their accounts or can their new teacher use their accounts if she desires?

6. Tsholofelo48 says:

imlike this edmodo its easy and safe and its going to help every school

7. rafas says:

i love edmodo it safe you can talk with your friends for school

8. Gloriana says:

You’ve got to be kidding me-it’s so trasnpaertlny clear now!

9. jeffrey says:

can you make your own group code

10. paige says:

Hi! I was given a group code for an assignment and have tried it numerous times and it does not work. It keeps saying “group code invalid”. I checked with all my friends (also in the same class) and they have the same group code but it worked for them. Could the site just be a temporary glitch? I am typing all the letters and numbers in correctly. I have tried for 2 days now. Help?!

11. HPatch says:

When students sign up for Edmodo, they are told the code is invalid. I have reset the code and it is still invalid. Suggestions?

12. […] About Managing Time Better: Managing Time Better Successful principles of Time Managing Time Management                  Share […]