Download the Digital Citizenship Starter Kit from Edmodo & Common Sense Media

September 19th, 2012

Today, Edmodo is excited to announce a partnership with Common Sense Media, a national non-profit dedicated to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology. As part of our partnership, we have created  a new resource for educators, the “Digital Citizenship Starter Kit,” which includes a series of activities and lessons designed to introduce digital citizenship concepts right in Edmodo. All lessons are based on Common Sense Media’s free K-12 Digital Literacy and Citizenship curriculum.

The free Digital Citizenship Starter Kit is available via the Digital Citizenship Community and covers important topics: Internet safety and security, privacy, plagiarism, and cyberbullying.

Download the Digital Citizenship Starter Kit

1. Follow the Digital Citizenship Community on Edmodo

2. Read the Digital Citizenship Intro Letter (featured in the community) to get an overview of the Starter Kit elements

3. Visit the Community Collection to download the starter kit or add it to your Edmodo Library. The kit has two parts:

• Getting Started: Download the “We the Digital Citizens Pledge” poster for your classroom, and complete the Digital Citizenship Pledge lesson with your students
  • Digital Citizenship Modules: Locate the appropriate folder (Elementary, Middle or High School) to download the 5 digital citizenship lessons for your classroom. Each lesson includes an Edmodo activity to get the conversation started with your students, as well as a deeper lesson plan from Common Sense Media.

Stay tuned for additional activities that will be posted in the community leading up to New York Digital Citizen Day!

9 responses to “Download the Digital Citizenship Starter Kit from Edmodo & Common Sense Media”

1. stoth says:

good stuff

2. […] join Edmodo and Common Sense Media on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 to learn how to use the Digital Citizenship Starter Kit, a series of activities you can complete in Edmodo to help start the conversation with students […]

3. Paolo Silveri says:

I explained to my students the content of the manifesto of the digital citizenship and I did sign an undertaking to respect its principles.

4. Melinda Reed says:

I have used bits and pieces of the Common Sense Media kit beforein my role as school technology coach. I have trained so many teachers and students on Edmodo. Why in the world haven’t I thought of using them both together???

I made a goal last year that I wanted to teach at least one Digital Citizenship lesson to every student in my 6-8 middle school. And I am proud to say that I achieved that goal. But now, as I continue to strive to achieve that goal in the new school year, I will definitely set up all my lessons through Edmodo. That will also ensure that every student in my building will be on Edmodo!!!!

5. Cheryl says:

I used this unit last year and at the end of the unit the students all signed the commitment poster and we placed it in the hallway for everyone to see. It was really a thought provoking unit and led to some great discussions.

6. Virginia says:

I stumbled across Common Sense and was pleased to see Edmodo endorsing the program. I intend on using the program on a weekly basis to reinforce instructional digital citizenship guidelines as a supportive reminder to students regarding their online responsibility.

7. Giulia Arrighetti says:

Everything sounds very interesting and I’m going to go deeper into the subject to be able to use this material.

8. Tina says:

Nothing is currently coming up under Community Collection. Is there another way to access the starter kit?

9. Angelina Pagano says:

Sto iniziando anche io a dare molta importanza alla sicurezza