Edmodo is a great platform to engage your students in this year’s electoral process. Take advantage of the following features to help you integrate election-related activities:
Use the Edmodo polling feature to gauge your students on select topics. Sample polling questions include:
- Which issue do you think is the most important for this year’s election? (choices: Jobs, National debt, Taxes, Health care, Education, Immigration, Foreign Policy, Social Security/Medicare, Gun Control, Government reform, Energy & Environment, Local & National Security, Equality) – Reply in the comments with why you think that issue is most important.
- What do you think is the most important characteristic in a President? (choices: honesty, leadership, competent in governing, integrity, listens to the people, charisma) – Reply in the comments explaining why you chose that characteristic.
For more ideas, join our Election Insights Community.
2. Small Groups
Using the small groups feature, host an in-class or cross-classroom debate.
- To start, choose a particular issue for students to debate. CNN has a great list of key issues and each presidential candidate’s stance.
- Create a new group called “Debate”, then create two small groups within that group and divide students accordingly. Assign each small group a specific stance on the chosen issue.
- Have students research the issue. Within their small group, student can discuss and post their finding, without the opposing group being able to view.
- Within the main debate group, post discussion prompts that the students can respond to and debate.
3. Edmodo Apps
The Edmodo Apps Store has a selection of election-related apps. Try one of the apps that are currently available:
- GoAnimate Election 2012 – This free app is a starter kit, featuring GoAnimate’s Election 2012 Quick Video Maker. Available for free in the Edmodo Apps Store.
- Win the White House – Running for the presidency isn’t easy! In Win the White House, players manage their very own presidential campaign. Available in the Edmodo Apps Store – $3.00 for an unlimited license
- Voters Ed – An interactive teaching tool about the Electoral College, Voters Ed allows users to predict our next president and more. Available in the Edmodo Apps Store – $9.99 per group
- TEQ Election Map – Turn your classroom into Election Center 2012! This interactive U.S. map can display customized Electoral College results. Available in the Edmodo Apps Store – $3 per group
- Study Sync VOTES Blasts – Participate in an election-based discussion on relevant campaign topics and encourage regular, short answer writing with VOTES Blasts. Available for free in the Edmodo Apps Store.
Do you have any election-related activities to share? Post to our Election Insights Community!