5 Tips for Parents Getting Started with Edmodo
Posted by: Lucia Giacomantonio
Parent accounts are a great way for parents to observe and stay up to date with their child’s Edmodo activities. With more and more parents signing up for Edmodo, we wanted to provide additional information and tips on how to get started, as well as our most frequently asked questions from parents.
5 Tips to Help Parents Get Started:
- Parents should create a Parent account, not a student or teacher account.
- In order to create an account, parents will need their unique parent code. This is not the same as a group code, which is what students use to create an account. (See the below FAQ for information on where to retrieve the parent code)
- Parents only need one parent code, regardless of whether their student has multiple teachers using Edmodo. Once their parent account is created, they will be able to see all of their student’s classes from that account.
- Parents only need one account at all times. Parents can add multiple students to one account, or remove students if necessary.
- Parents of younger children who are asked to create a student account for their child only need to create one account. The child/student will use the same account for all their classes and throughout all their years in school. The same rule applies for parent accounts- one account is used year after year, until your student/child graduates.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I get a parent code and create my account?
Parent codes can be retrieved from one of two places:
- Your student/child: On the homepage of your student’s Edmodo account, the parent code is located on the right panel.
- Your student’s teacher: The teacher can retrieve parent codes from their “members” page and distribute them to parents.
Do I need a parent code for each class my student is in?
No. Once you create your parent account, you will be able to see assignments, grades, etc. for all your student’s classes.
Can I have more than one student (i.e. child) on my account?
Yes. Select the “Add a Student” button on the top navigation bar. Enter the student’s parent code, select your relationship to the student and click “add”.
Can parents directly message their student’s teacher(s)?
No. At this time this feature is not available.
Can two parents create separate accounts for one child, using the same parent code?
Yes. You can use the same code to create two parent accounts and add the student to both accounts.
I am both a teacher and a parent. Can I merge my Parent and Teacher accounts?
No, you cannot merge the two accounts. Each account has special and unique functions that serve a specific purpose, and therefore, the accounts are kept separate. You can easily register for two different accounts.
Can Parents join groups?
No, at this time parents are not able to join groups.
What if I forget my password?
If you forget your password you can click on the “Forgot?” button on the Edmodo home page. You will receive an email with instructions on how to recover your password. If you have any issues please contact email@example.com for further help.
As a parent, what can I see from my Edmodo account?
Parents are able to see the following in their account (for their student only):
- Calendar notices
- Assignments due & late assignments
- Assignment comments (i.e. any feedback the teacher provides on their assignment)
- Messages sent by the teacher that are directed to parents
- Direct messages their child’s teacher has sent to their child (or vice versa)
- Their child’s teachers and their Edmodo profile
- Apps the teacher has installed that include parent access
Parents are not able to see the following in their account:
- Messages that teachers post to their student’s groups (unless directed to parents)
- Teacher communities
- Other student’s posts, replies, grades or assignments
- Library/backpack items or shared folders