Flip Your Classroom With the Edmodo Scavenger Hunt

February 13th, 2013

This is a guest post from Melissa Butler, a 6th grade Language Arts teacher from South Orange, New Jersey.  If you are interested in contributing to the Edmodo Blog, please complete this form.

I currently teach in a “brand new” 1:1 learning environment and Edmodo has undoubtedly enhanced both the teaching and learning experiences in my classroom.

Flip Your Classroom With the Edmodo Scavenger Hunt

This school year I began with an activity for my students, which I titled, “The Edmodo Scavenger Hunt.”  The scavenger hunt allowed me to virtually flip my classroom into a digital learning sensation.

Using Edmodo, I delivered online instruction to my students into an actual active and engaging learning environment.  As my students engaged in learning the fundamentals of Edmodo, both in the classroom and at home, I was simultaneously able to test each student in Reading Workshop, so that I may assess their independent reading levels.

Awarding Student Badges

After completing the Edmodo Scavenger Hunt, not only did the students earn merits in “10 teacher-created badges,” but they also achieved a high level as Edmodo experts.  I was fascinated at how I could showcase Edmodo and how to use it with my 75 sixth graders.

Make Your Own Scavenger Hunt

Here is the Livebinder link where you can find my Edmodo Scavenger Hunt.  I trust you will find it just as “edu-taining” as I did.

Stay in touch, and please look forward to reading future blog posts of how I showcase Edmodo and its infinite integrating possibilities within my 6th-grade classroom.

36 Responses to “Flip Your Classroom With the Edmodo Scavenger Hunt”

1. Lisa says:

Love the intro clip. Any chance of making the actual scavenger hunt public? Or is it name sensitive. I teach math/science to 2 fourth grade groups. So far, I have a “math”, “Science” and “recess” group. So far, I’ve utilized it for uploading a few screencasts made with educreations and “show me”, and the Words of Wisdom. I’ve done a couple of quizzes, but I have a feeling there is so much more I could do with it. Suggestions?

• Melissa Butler says:

You should be able to access my Scavenger Hunt via the link. My Livebinder is public. Let me know if you have any further questions. Enjoy!

2. Stacy says:

amazing !

• Melissa Butler says:

Thank you for your compliment. It was so much fun designing, and my students still talk about it to this day.

Enjoy.

3. Dorene Bates says:

Great videos. Thanks for sharing the Livebinder.

• Melissa Butler says:

Thank you. I enjoy being a connected educator, which means sharing resources along the way.

Enjoy.

• Lakshmi Prayaga says:

Hi

Is it possible to see the game itself. The link is only giving me the steps to setup my account, portfolio etc

I would love to see how the game was created

thanks
        Lakshmi

• Melissa Butler says:

I hope you are able to utilize this in your class. My 6th-grade students really loved it as my introduction to Edmodo in the Fall.

Enjoy.

4. Patrizia says:

What about Flipping your collegues with Edmodo Scavenger Hunt! I did it with http://www.thinglink.com/scene/318492949534998594?buttonSource=undefinedPage
    when I held a webinar for my German Collegues der DaF – Community in October 2012 :http://dafnet.web2.0campus.net/nachlese-30-10-12-mitmachen-in-edmodo-gruppe/

I’m going to present Edmodo at the DAFWEBKON http://www.dafwebkon.com/ the webconference at its second edition for German as foreign and second language great isn’t it’

Thanks

5. Tricia Gerard says:

Take the Edmodo webinar on the 20 ways to use Edmodo- That will give you LOTS of ideas how to use it. Example: book clubs, sports team calendars- to announce- no practice today, post videos and a primary document and have students compare, analyze the points view.

6. shenna johnson says:

thanks so much for sharing this!!! this is exactly the kind of thing i’ve been looking for to get started with edmodo.

• Melissa Butler says:

Thank you and I hope you enjoy it as much as my students and I did. This is the beauty of sharing resources.

Enjoy.

7. Michelle Scott says:

I am so interested in flipping my classroom, but unsure how to go about it. Do you have any suggestions where to begin? Also, I’d love to see the rest of your scavenger hunt.

• Melissa Butler says:

Edmodo is one of the best resources for flipping the classroom. I am able to, in essence, go home with my students. Something I could have only dreamed about a couple of years ago. Follow me on twitter at @Angelinashy for more great resources.

8. Chris says:

This is a great resource! Did you reserve a computer lab for your class for these 3 days or do you have a class set of computers?

• Melissa Butler says:

Do you want to know the honest truth…no tomatoes flying at me. I am piloting a 1:1 environment this year, so each of my students have a laptop every day.

Enjoy.

9. Marlen says:

Thanks for sharing this! I teach Art, and I am already thinking of ways to adapt your idea for use. You’ve inspired me!

• Melissa Butler says:

Thank you so much; you just made my day. I truly enjoyed making this scavenger hunt and my students loved completing it. They were able to learn everything about Edmodo in an engaging manner.

Follow me on twitter at @Angelinashy for more great ideas.

Enjoy.

10. Lavoy Carter says:

This is a great example of combining two excellent resources – Edmodo and Livebinder – to flip your classroom. Many teacher are intimidated by the prospect of flipping their classrooms, but you’ve done a great job demonstrating another way to do it that’s easy and effective. Kudos!

• Melissa Butler says:

Thank you for the amazing compliments. I use Edmodo and Livebinder every day to flip my classroom. My students are more actively engaged this year than any other previous year by far.

Enjoy.

Follow me on Twitter at @Angelinashy for more great resources.

11. Bill Martin says:

I love this! I’m using this with my kids. One question. How do you post this video to these docs or pages without leading students to Youtube or whatever is hosting the video. That is awesome, I need a safe place to post, I’m using a teacher streaming site but it seems limited on devices and I’m getting lots of errors when I upload.

Thanks!

• Melissa Butler says:

I posted my Livebinder link on my classroom website and they were able to access each videos this way.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

12. Hmaddox says:

Can you share the group number with us so we can actually see the scavenger hunt?

13. Nora Brussolo says:

I am just starting with Edmodo and found this really interesting. It helped me see some of the possibilities in action and the videos were really clear. Thanks for sharing

14. Melissa Butler says:

Anytime. The beauty of being a connected Educator is sharing resources along the way. My students urged me to share this scavenger hunt and they still talk about it to this very day.

Enjoy.

15. Melissa Butler says:

Anytime. Thank you for your kind words. Follow me on Twitter at @Angelinashy for more great resources.

16. JoAnn Filer says:

Brilliant:) Spot on! Love the use of tools.

17. Christa says:

I absolutely adore the scavenger Hunt and as I flip my professional development and PLN I am going to keep this in mind.
    One question…which tool(s) do you use to record and annotate your videos.

18. Laura Rausch says:

Thanks so much for posting this resource! I learned a lot about edmodo for myself and will definitely be doing something similar in my classroom in the next few weeks. (This years students will be my guinea pigs for next year!)

I’ve added you on twitter! I’m @mrslrausch.
    Thanks,
    Laura Rausch

19. Mike Brus says:

Melissa,
    What video app did you use to produce your videos? I would like to film my own…great idea!

20. Barb Brockus says:

Thank you so much for this resource. I had an opportunity to flip thru some of the livebinders and I ran across an invaluable resource that is the answer to some prayers. I loved how you set-up your scavenger hunt, your example triggered some great ideas on how to incorporate livebinders into my curriculum. I thank you for sharing.

I now have some ideas on how to create my how to site (DIY) about video. I sincerely thank you.

Barb Brockus (soon to be Video Diva)
    Helping people standout from the crowd with (DIY) video

For more information or live video sample please feel free to contact me. Thanks again, Melissa.

21. Mary says:

Melissa, would you mind sharing your badges for the scavenger hunt?

22. Walisa Sabb says:

Hello, I couldn’t get your Scavenger Hunt to open. I get an error message stated this can’t be open in a frame. Please help, I would love to use this for my class.