Edmodo Teachers Can Save 160 Million Pieces of Paper This Earth Week

April 3rd, 2013

Last month we polled teachers on Edmodo to find out how much paper you think you and your students go through per week and found that about half of teachers who use Edmodo still say they use at least 100 sheets of paper per week.

If 1.6 million Edmodo teachers who on average use at least 100 sheets of paper a week, pledge to go paperless, we would save  more than 160 million sheets of paper!

Pledge To Go Paperless for Earth Week

Earth Day is intended to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s natural environment. To celebrate we’re asking Edmodo teachers to make a pledge to go completely paperless for the week leading up to Earth Day [known as Earth Week], which is April 17-24th.

Tips for Creating a Paperless Classroom With Edmodo

During the month of April we’ll be sharing stories from teachers who have created a paperless classroom. If you’re interested in sharing your story, complete this form.

Check out the following posts to learn about Edmodo features and tips that can help you go paperless.

Will you make the pledge? Leave a comment below if you’re up for the challenge!

12 Responses to “Edmodo Teachers Can Save 160 Million Pieces of Paper This Earth Week”

1. Mrs. Puma says:

Challenge accepted!

2. Mrs. Folds says:

My class is in!! Love it!

3. LottaN says:

I’ve got to ask my students if they have any ideas about how to do the vocabulary quizzes (which they mark for their friends on paper to have yet another learning moment) on the computer… Unfortunately it is very tricky to turn off the spell check on the computer even if you can still get the peer marking done… any ideas?
    (That’s about the only thing I use paper for… Scrap paper….)

• Ramsey says:

Use a program like “paint” where they have to draw the words out

• Maureen says:

You could enter the words into a site like spellingcity.com and have the kids wear headphones. That way, they could move at their own pace by having words repeated. The students enter the words on spellingcity and it does not have spellcheck. It even marks their test at the end.

The only downfall I’ve found is that the site doesn’t allow apostrophes.

• Becky says:

Try using notepad for typing, it won’t spellcheck your words automatically.

4. Elizabeth Frank says:

Challenge accepted over three years ago when I started using Edmodo in my classroom. Love being paperless!

5. Vivian Blair says:

Challenge accepted in January 2013 when I discovered Edmodo! I rarely print anything and have been to the copier less than a handful of times in the past four months. I love being paperless!

6. Jenny Walker says:

Essaytagger and Google Drive (docs)! All of my students have gmail accounts and create their essays on google drive. They submit them to me through essaytagger (an awesome grading tool) and I grade them with the rubrics I’ve created them, and email the essays back to them. No paper is ever exchanged. The major advantages are, I never have to worry about a student claiming I lost their paper and the preset comments I create, make grading far quicker.

7. Rich Bowden says:

My classroom just received a dedicated set of iPad minis. We are now paperless for the rest of the year…and all the years to come!

8. imogen gauntlett says:

My challenge is to get my middle schoolers to want to participate. So many of them say “I’m tired of computers.” “It would be easier to just take it pencil and paper”. “It would be quicker if we didn’t have to wait for it to log in. With pencil and paper I can jsut do it and get it over with.” I am required by my administration to give them a choice (differentiated learning) and 75% of them (exactly 75% last term) choose pencil and paper tests and assignments over computer. That is not just with Edmodo but other reports they can type (MS Word) or draw (ppt or Paint or Publisher) and they turn in hand written or drawn.

• Brenda Edins says:

I am facing the same challenge. My 6th graders told me the work and waiting is just too hard. (And they are all about “easy”!) I think going paperless is much easier — they don’t have to remember to bring that always-escaping pencil to class.