Edmodo can transform the traditional chalkboard and a “turn-in-basket-classroom” into a digital, paperless atmosphere.
Making the Decision to go Paperless
I currently teach 6th-grade Language Arts in a new 1:1 learning environment in South Orange, NJ. At first, I believed setting a goal of going paperless for the 2013-14 school year was completely impracticable. However, January 2013 came and I began to ask myself, “Why are you still standing in front of the copy machine? Why are you making hundreds of copies each day, and having your students hand in paper after paper, when every one of your students has access to a provided laptop computer every day?”
That day, I officially pledged to become a 100% paperless classroom educator.
Our 1:1 Environment
Walking into my classroom is anything but the ordinary at my school. A laptop is present at every desktop, with a charging station available at the front of the classroom. My students have access to the provided technology 185 school days a year. This didn’t happen overnight, obtaining this technology was only part of my trials and triumph. Implementing this technology and not allowing the excuse of “I can’t get used to using the tech in new ways” was the other hurdle I had to overcome. I knew that if I didn’t adapt to the new technology, the computers would just become another accessory to my classroom.
Creating a Paperless “Edu-vironment” with Edmodo
At present, there are many schools that have endless amounts of 1:1 learning environments, but is the available technology being used at the level deemed necessary to achieve the “anywhere, anytime learning?” Edmodo is your go- to website which converts your classroom instantaneously to a paperless “edu-vironment.”
Edmodo provides a plethora of opportunities. Students can turn in assignments; link their Google Docs account; complete assessments; take polls; share content and applications; and access homework, grades, class discussions and notifications. On top of this advantageous list, teachers can extend their Professional Learning Community by connecting with like-minded professional teachers from all over the world.
Reducing Paper in My Classroom
How does this equate to the reduction of paper in the classroom?
- Ability to provide instant feedback without the mountain of paperwork and create assignments and assessments within Edmodo
- With Google Docs integration, students can complete writing assignments within a Google Doc and submit them on Edmodo with annotates
- Leveraging the library feature, students have the entire curriculum at their fingertips, anywhere, anytime
- The backback component allows students to save all documents in the Cloud, thus making material binders, papers, and flashdrives obsolete
- Edmodo automatically generates a parent code, which allows daily teacher-to-parent and student-to-parent communication every day, without paper
Join my multi-modal Edmodo journey where I have transformed my classroom from the typical ELA “paper” classroom to the atypical “paperless” classroom. Get adapted to Edmodo, where anytime learning, in both the classroom and the flipped classroom, can be accomplished from virtually anywhere.