Communities are built on the relationships between its individuals, so we’re launching a new blog series that lets you get to know the people behind the one at Edmodo. From what we do at the company, to some of our firsts and favorites, sneak a peek as we get personal.
Elena was born and raised in Chicago, where she attended St. Philip Lutheran (K-8) and Lincoln Park High School. For college, she left the big city for the cornfields of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to major in Advertising, with a concentration in copywriting.
Currently living in San Francisco, Elena joined the Edmodo marketing team in September 2013. As the Content Strategist, it’s her job to come up with the words users see every day (like the ones you’re reading right now).
When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
At first, I wanted to be in the army so I could drive a big tank. Then, I wanted to be an English teacher. As I got older, I wanted to write ads. Today, I’m a marketing writer in the education industry. Funny how life works out!
What was your first job?
I was a bus “boy” in the dining room at a Jewish retirement home.
What was your first concert?
Menudo, bless my father’s heart. I remember looking at him as a confused 7-year-old and saying, “Daddy, why are all the girls crying?” To which he shook his head and replied, “I have no idea.”
What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
I’ve gone bungee jumping and skydiving, but hindsight tells me that moving to San Francisco without knowing a soul was pretty bold.
What’s your greatest achievement?
Having a life that makes me happy and proud.
What do you do in your free time?
The standards: hang with friends, try new restaurants, workout. Every Sunday, I volunteer at an animal shelter.
Where are you going on your next vacation?
Italy: Rimini, Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Rome
Do you have any pets?
A grey/black striped cat named Scout and a polydactyl black one named Ripley
What’s the first thing you do when you get home from work?
Put on my pajamas
- Food: Potatoes. Baked, chipped, or fried, they are Mother Earth’s greatest gift.
- Movie: I’m powerless against Hollywood action blockbusters with big-budget special effects.
- TV Show: “Parks and Recreation” brings me an indescribable amount of joy.
- Music: Radical Face, Lord Huron, Benjamin Francis Leftwich, Greg Laswell, Frank Sinatra
- Book: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Little Prince, Watership Down, Pride & Prejudice, Peace Like a River, and anything by Donna Tartt or Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Superpower: Teleportation. Oh, the places I’d go!
- Quote: “Life does not put things in front of you that you’re unable to handle.” – Unknown
“Where attention goes, energy flows.” – James Redfield
Three Things I Could Never Live Without:
- Four-legged friends
- A travel destination
- Quiet time