So you can start your well-deserved time off with some peace of mind, following are some tips and tricks to help you organize this past school year and prepare for the next one—all of which allow you and your students to use your existing Edmodo accounts year after year!
1. Rename Existing Groups. If you want to reuse the name of a Group next year, update the title of the Group before archiving it. A name can only be assigned to one Group at a time, regardless of whether it’s active or archived.
Pro Tip: Get creative to save time and get organized. Instead of “ELA P1,” try “ELA P1 – Fall 2015” to easily distinguish between Groups and quarters/semesters.
2. Archive Your Groups. Once your classes are finished and student grades finalized, you can keep a record of a Group’s activity. Archiving saves assignments and grades, and prevents any new posts from being made.
Pro Tip: It’s not necessary (or possible) to remove posts from an archived Group. When new Group posts appear, old ones move down, and eventually disappear.
3. Set Active Groups to Read-Only. If you want to check-in over the summer, you can manage post activity with read-only, or personally moderate all posts. This ensures you stay in full control of any Groups not being archived.
Pro Tip: Whether you want to set everyone to read-only, or limit posting rights for select individuals, Edmodo lets you decide how members can participate all year long.
4. Reuse Previous Assignments. Want to repurpose content next semester? You can load previously created lessons and quizzes from your archived Groups, and assign them to the new ones you create when school’s back in session.
Pro Tip: Share your successes with other teachers. Upload your best lessons to Edmodo Spotlight and discover new resources to use in your classroom.
5. Export Your Gradebook. Although grades get archived along with your Groups, it always helps to have a backup. Exporting saves your gradebook as a .CSV file, which you can import into other grading programs.
Pro Tip: Same class, same students, different semester? If you only want to track grades for the current semester, create a new Group to get a new gradebook.
6. Create New Groups. Prep for the next school year today! Even though Group Codes automatically lock after 14 days, you can always reset the code, or simply use the Join URL when you’re ready to add students.
Pro Tip: Only distribute Group invites within your classroom. Keeping codes and URLs off public websites, blogs, and social media keeps you in control of who joins.
7. Register for EdmodoCon. Reserve a free seat for the largest streamed edtech event on Tuesday, August 4. Celebrating the best in collaboration, EdmodoCon introduces you to digital tools, creative ideas, valuable resources, and other educators.
Pro Tip: Organize an EdmodoCon viewing party! Watch with colleagues and brainstorm the best ways to implement learnings into your school or district.
How do you prep your Edmodo accounts for summer? Share in the comments below!