EdmodoCon 2015: Meet Speaker Laura Murphy

July 21st, 2015

Laura_Murphy_273x268After starting her career as an Event and Wedding Coordinator, Laura Murphy soon realized that she’d much rather be planning lessons and molding inquisitive minds. Following her passion, Murphy obtained a Master’s Degree in Education from the College of Charleston and now works to instill a lifelong love of learning in her students. When she’s not teaching, Murphy loves to explore the area surrounding historic Charleston, visit her hometown of Lexington, dine with friends and family, and discover new classroom ideas on Pinterest.

Currently an English teacher at Charles Pinckney Elementary in Mount Pleasant, SC, Murphy will be presenting from 3:15 pm–4:00 pm PST at this year’s EdmodoCon. Her session, Real World RSVP: Inviting Guest Speakers to Inspire Students, will demonstrate how she rewrote the book on student engagement by welcoming published authors into her classroom. Tune in to watch how she used their professional insights to help students better understand the writing process, introduce various genres and styles, create an authentic learning experience, and more.

What inspired you to apply to speak at EdmodoCon?
I wanted a platform to share my idea with other teachers all over the world in hopes it would inspire them to implement something similar in their own classrooms. I didn’t want it to be one of those ideas I had that no one ever really knew about outside my inner circle and didn’t have the chance to try out for themselves.

How did you feel when you found out you were selected?
I was elated…and then terrified when I realized how many people would be watching my presentation. (Still feeling that anxiety, for sure!!)

What’s the one thing you hope people take away from your EdmodoCon presentation?
I hope teachers realize that you don’t HAVE to do everything by the book, or just because it is a standard you must cover to prepare for standardized testing. Think outside the box a little on how you can make learning FUN and ENGAGING for your students! I hope that they’ll give this a shot and see how it can change the culture in your classroom and reignite the love of learning in their students.

Why did you become an educator?
I wanted to make a lasting impact on students at such an impressionable age. I sought a career where I felt confident I was truly making a difference each and every day, and that my work “mattered.” I aim to be a cheerleader, ego-booster, support system, educator, friend, etc., to students who need that in their lives during this crucial time of development.

What do you like most about being an educator?
I love that no day is EVER the same (no monotony whatsoever) and that I am surrounded by so many amazing young minds that are just ready to soak up learning. Truly for me, the best part about my job is the students, as cliche as it sounds. I am always ecstatic to meet my kiddos at the beginning of the year, as they become my family for the year and I never forget them.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received from another educator?
Don’t try to please everyone—it’s exhausting. There will ALWAYS be someone who doesn’t agree with something you’ve done or doesn’t like you 100% of the time. Try to focus on the positive supporters that sing your praises! Also, give it up to God. Don’t try to be so in control you lose sight of Him and His ways. That can be hard for a Type-A personality like myself.

What have your students taught you?
They have taught me it is okay to be yourself. I allow my quirky and spunky personality to show through to them and they love that. They have also taught me how beautiful it is to be so accepting at such a young age. My students do not see race, gender, ability, etc. They just see their classmates and are so including of all. We truly are a family, and I love that.

What’s the first thing you do when you get home from school?
I either change into workout clothes or pajamas/lounge clothes…I’ll let you guess which one usually wins! 🙂

• Food: Currently, watermelon (I may or may not be eating some right this very second!)
  • Movie: Moulin Rouge
  • TV Show(s): Modern Family, or anything on HGTV
  • Music: The JJ Grey & Mofro station on Pandora
  • Book: Wonder by R.J. Palacio (taught me to always choose kindness)
  • Superpower: The ability to read people’s minds? Not sure I’d like this, though, after about a day.
  • Quote: “It is not what is poured into a student that counts, but what is planted.” –Linda Conway

Three things I could never live without:

1. My husband (constant entertainment, even though not technically a thing…)
  2. My iPhone (so sad, but so true)
  3. Snacks (I don’t leave the house without at least one snack in my purse. Being “hangry” is a real concern.)

Want to learn more about Laura Murphy? Register for EdmodoCon to see her presentation, connect with her on Edmodo to grow your network, and follow her on Twitter to get inspired.

80 responses to “EdmodoCon 2015: Meet Speaker Laura Murphy”

1. Heather F says:

So excited for your Edmodocon presentation!

2. Ryan says:

Excited to hear your presentation. Good luck

3. Greg Macer says:

Can’t agree with you more about everyday being different when you are a teacher! Students will ALWAYS have something new and different. I couldn’t imagine working with adults, they are boring… Look forward to hearing more about what you are doing to be such an awesome educator!

4. Denise Hickey says:

I can’t wait to hear your ideas during Edmodocon!

5. Casey Boothby says:

I’m excited to learn about ways to get guest speakers into the classroom – especially authors – so I can share with our English/LA department!

6. Kathy Pittinger says:

Hey Laura,
    I am so excited to meet you. Your presentation topic is very interesting to me. I can’t wait to hear all about it so I can use the ideas you present with my students this coming school year. EdmodoCon 2015 is going to be AWESOME! See you soon!

7. Mary Jo Heiberge says:

I can’t wait to hear about having guest speakers in the classroom (virtually)! I would love to get more teacher at my school involved in this.

8. Cecilia Monserrat says:

A great change! And I like the idea of speakers in the classroom! Looking forward to listening to you!

9. Excited for this presentation, love the real world applications

10. Jodi says:

I’m very excited about how you use Edmodo and other resources to have guest speakers help make your classroom come alive.

11. Alexa Minett says:

As a Head of English, this sounds exciting! Looking forward to hearing about your ideas and experiences!

12. Sandy King says:

I use skype a lot but I’m looking forward to hearing more ideas! Best wishes!

13. Emily says:

Student engagement is the key to opening minds to receive educational nourishment. I look forward to your presentation.

14. Can’t wait to meet you Laura! I enjoyed reading your early Edmodo blog post and am excited to hear your presentation.

15. Jody Urbas says:

I love your passion for what you do and can’t wait to hear you speak!

16. Oh yes, I totally agree… “Think outside the box a little on how you can make learning FUN and ENGAGING for your students!” Looking forward to hearing your presentation!!

17. Very interested in hearing your ideas during edmodocon!

18. danesensei says:

I’m excited to hear your presentation.

19. Harly Umboh says:

20. Jennifer Brooks says:

So excited to hear your presentation!

21. Denise Kanaman says:

I am very interested in your presentation and how you get you guest speakers to participate.

22. Congratulations on your paper! I always wanted to invite personalities who inspire my students or interested in the subject but math. I have not, but I hope that with his talk can plan this activity in my classroom. I look forward to your presentation !!!
    Regards !!!

Felicidades por su ponencia! Siempre he querido invitara personalidades que inspiren o interesen a mis alumnos pero en la materia de matemática. Yo no lo he realizado, pero espero que con su plática pueda planificar esta actividad en mi salón de clases. Espero con ansias su ponencia!!!

23. Dorene Bates says:

Sounds like a great presentation. Hope everything is being recorded!

24. Ed Bonhaus says:

Excited to hear how a former wedding planner is now rocking the Education world!

25. Jenny DeMatteo says:

Very excited to hear your presentation. As an ELA focused teacher I would love to hear how you get authors to participate in your classroom

26. Salim Ettani says:

A pleasure to hear from you Laura. Your experience will be undoubtedly an enrichment for each one of us.

27. Tim Macmillan says:

Really looking forward to your presentation, Laura! What a great way to inspire young writers!

28. Andrea says:

Hi Laura! I love the topic that you will be speaking about and am very interested in learning how to make this happen. Guest speakers are such a great way to engage student (and adults alike). I think you will be awesome :0)

29. Barb says:

Can’t wait to listen to you tomorrow! You will do great.

30. Nicole Bogunovich says:

I’m excited to hear your presentation tomorrow! It is so nice to hear how other teachers joined the teaching profession. 🙂