EdmodoCon 2015: Meet Speaker Peter Grostic

July 22nd, 2015

Peter_Grostic_273x268Before becoming a Professional Learning Consultant for Communications by Design in Ada, Michigan, Peter Grostic earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics from Albion College and a Master of Arts Degree in Educational Leadership from Western Michigan University. He also spent seven years in Grand Rapids, teaching Mathematics for Kentwood Public Schools. This classroom experience now helps Grostic coach administrators, educators, and students on the best ways to integrate technology into their teaching and learning.

Grostic will be participating on the 21st Century Thought Leaders: Defining Today’s Learner panel from 11:30 am–12:15 pm PST at this year’s EdmodoCon, to discuss how technology changes how the world communicates. In education, it gives teachers a way to collaborate, students choice and a voice, parents the option to offer support, and admins tools to build professional learning communities. Tune in to watch Grostic and two other experts examine how technology also redefines and improves the learning process for everyone involved.

What inspired you to apply to speak at EdmodoCon?
I’m an advocate for utilizing Edmodo and its features. I believe that K-12 classrooms must make a shift toward student-centric learning models in order to produce students that can adapt to change, innovate through curiosity, question critically, and communicate effectively. Edmodo supports students, teachers, administrators, and parents as they make that shift. Speaking at EdmodoCon gives me an opportunity to convey this important message.

How did you feel when you found out you were selected?
I felt incredibly humbled and honored to be selected to speak at EdmodoCon. Selfishly, I was excited to meet the other amazing educators that were also selected.

What’s the one thing you hope people take away from your EdmodoCon presentation?
After the panel discussion, I hope educators and supporters of education are challenged to begin or continue to shift from teacher-centric classrooms to student-centric classrooms.

Why did you become an educator?
To help students connect with mathematics. I’ve stayed in education to learn and grow as a human being. Working with young people and teachers allows me to develop professionally and personally. Hopefully, I’m able to make an impact on their lives as well.

What do you like most about being an educator?
The learning process. Watching students learn, wonder, and inspire others is magical. The beauty, of course, is that I learn right along with them.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received from another educator?
To prioritize the students’ needs over everything else. Each student is different and requires a unique relationship with his or her teacher. Teaching content effectively happens best when the teacher/student relationship is strong.

What have your students taught you?
My students have taught me many things. I’ve learned about true hardship and struggle through my relationships with them. I’ve also learned how to empathize without sympathy or pity. I’ve learned that rubrics only serve to limit them and that they crave challenges. Lastly, I’ve learned how to let them own their learning by asking them lots of questions.

What’s the first thing you do when you get home from school?
Well, as a father of a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old, the first thing I do when I get home is hug my children and my wife.

• Food: Eggs Benedict
  • Movie: Groundhog Day
  • TV Show(s): Seinfeld
  • Music: Pop Rock
  • Book: Mindset
  • Superpower: Super humor
  • Quote: “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.” –Gandhi. It is my favorite because revenge is easy, but compassion is very hard.

Three things I could never live without:

1. Curiosity
  2. Humor
  3. Rationality

Want to learn more about Peter Grostic? Register for EdmodoCon to hear his opinions, connect with him on Edmodo to grow your network, and follow him on Twitter to get inspired.

72 responses to “EdmodoCon 2015: Meet Speaker Peter Grostic”

1. Casey Boothby says:

Looking forward to hearing some tips about how to move from a teacher-centered classroom to a student-centered classroom!

2. Ashleigh Buie says:

Can not wait to hear your ideas on being more student centric in our classrooms! I look forward to your presentation!

3. Kathy Pittinger says:

Hey Peter,
    I am so excited to have the opportunity to meet you at EdmodoCon and learn from you and the other presenters. It is going to be awesome. I identify with what you said about creating “student-centric” classrooms. I couldn’t agree more. I’d also like to talk more with you about “Mindset” and Carol Dweck. EdmodoCon 2015 is going to be AMAZING. See you soon!

4. Harly Umboh says:

Hi Peter,
    It sounds like I needed you to be my math teacher! Since our school district is centered around 21st Century learning, I’m excited to learn more ways to utilize technology with my students. Good luck on your presentation.

5. Greg Macer says:

You make great points about educations need to be more student centric and how edmodo allows that to happen with relative ease. I look forward to hearing your presentation! Keep on fighting the good fight!

6. Mary Jo Heiberge says:

I am looking forward to your presentation. I am working towards a student centered classroom.

7. Cecilia Monserrat says:

I agree, we never stop learning with our students, it is “the beauty” of teaching. Looking forward to listening to you.

8. Todor Simeonov says:

Great to hear that more and more educators believe the classroom show be student-centric. Good luck in each and every endeavor!

9. Sandy King says:

I also try to empower my students by making my classroom student-centered. Looking forward to your presentation.

10. Emily says:

I agree with your comment regarding shifting from teacher-centric classrooms to student-centric classrooms. Many teachers struggle with this. I look forward to your presentation.

11. Oscar says:

Sometimes our teachers lives get hectic and we need assistance with transforming our class to a student center of learning. Looking forward to your ideas.

12. Peter, I agree with your comment regarding shifting from teacher-centric classrooms to student-centric classrooms. Looking forward to hearing how you did this with your classroom.

13. danesensei says:

I really believe that this 21st century should always be student centered! Looking forward to hear your presentation!

14. Gracias por su ponencia! espero aprender mucho de su plática. Yo también soy defensor del uso de Edmodo y con el quiero solucionar todos los problemas educativos. Claro está que los salones del futuro no están llenos de tecnología, pero si la tecnología facilita la labor de docentes el apoyo de los padres, el aprendizaje de los estudiantes y la administración de los directivos. Saludos!

15. Looking forward to hearing your ideas on becoming more student-centric. I always love learning something new and seeing things from someone else’s perspective.

16. Dorene Bates says:

Sounds like a great panel discussion. Technology has definitely changed how we communicate. I look forward to watching the recording of this discussion. (I hope everything will be recorded!)

17. Ed Bonhaus says:

I’m looking forward to hearing about his experience with student-centered classrooms. We’re making a big push for that in my district this year.

18. Jenny DeMatteo says:

I am looking forward to hearing you discuss ways your parents are involved in Edmodo!

19. Tim Macmillan says:

Like you, I am a huge believer in the power of technology in educating today’s students. I am looking forward to your presentation and hope to learn new strategies to inspire and challenge my students!

20. Andrea says:

Technology has become such a large tool of our daily lives. Students forget that beyond games and apps technology can also serve a real world work place and academic purpose. Helping our children learn how to use technology as a tool is so important. Can’t wait to here what else you have to say.

21. I’m looking forward to hearing more about using Edmodo in the classroom and teachers helping students to make that learning shift.

22. Nicole Bogunovich says:

Looking forward to your presentation tomorrow! Best of luck!