EdmodoCon 2015: Meet Speaker Kathy Pittinger

July 29th, 2015

Kathy_Pittinger_273x268Before becoming a teacher, Kathy Pittinger earned a Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Wisconsin, got a Master’s from the American Graduate School of International Management, and spent 15 years working in international business in the Caribbean. A lifelong learner, Pittinger now focuses on giving students the tools and strategies they need to explore the world. In her 12 years as a Gifted & Talented elementary teacher, Pittinger has continually strived to acquire and apply new skills to enhance student learning.

During her No Passport Required: Global Classroom Collaboration in Action panel from 8:00 am–8:45 am PST, Pittinger will show EdmodoCon viewers how she uses language as an opportunity to give students a new way to express themselves. Tune in to watch Pittinger discuss how she translates their worldview by pairing bilingual 4th and 5th graders with students in other countries, and to see project-based best practices that can help increase communication, collaboration, and cultural awareness in your classroom.

What inspired you to apply to speak at EdmodoCon?
I want to share the excitement and enthusiasm that was generated as my students collaborated with students from all over the globe these past few years on various projects. It’s my desire to encourage fellow educators to develop plans to communicate with international students and collaborate on unlimited types of projects via platforms such as Edmodo, Google Docs, and Skype. I hope to show it’s not hard to participate in these types of projects. It just takes perseverance and hard work.

How did you feel when you found out you were selected?
I was shocked! I was so excited. I still am. I can’t believe that soon I’ll be sharing my class’ experiences with fellow educators and students from all over the globe. This is an amazing opportunity. I am so grateful that I was chosen to share at this year’s conference.

What’s the one thing you hope people take away from your EdmodoCon presentation?
I hope they’ll be motivated to take risks and try something new. I hope they’ll encourage their students to explore new worlds of possibilities through collaboration with students from other countries and cultures. I hope they’ll discover how diverse, amazing, and exciting the world is right now, and grow to appreciate how rewarding it can be to establish relationships with teachers and students from countries other than their own.

Why did you become an educator?
I am passionate about helping young people identify and develop their strengths and create plans to help them achieve things they did not originally believe they could ever achieve. I am dedicated to helping my students reach their potential through hard work, research, introspection, self-study, improved communication skills, and critical thinking. I can’t imagine spending my life doing anything else. I love facilitating my students’ learning and feel both honored and privileged to be called to this profession.

What do you like most about being an educator?
I love that I have the opportunity to ignite the curiosities of tomorrow’s leaders. I love that I spend my days working to engage my students in ways that stretch their brains and help them to develop to their potential. I love that I have the opportunity to participate in their fascinating growth and develop a relationship with them that lasts well beyond the time that they are in my classroom. I feel like I am part of something much larger than simply teaching a “curriculum.” Together, my fellow educators and I are shaping the future of our world.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received from another educator?
Sometimes, even the best plans don’t turn out as we had hoped. Once, someone I respected told me, “Tomorrow is another day.” Thankfully, we always have one more chance. Every day, I encourage my students to do do their best work and I expect the same of myself. Never give up. Always do your best work…but don’t be too hard on yourself when things don’t turn out as you’ve planned. Tomorrow is another day.

What have your students taught you?
That I have so much to learn. I love spending time with my students. I absolutely love growing and learning with them. We are constantly questioning how things work and how we can work together to make this world a better place. Together, we encourage each other to take big risks, try new things, and never give up!

What’s the first thing you do when you get home from school?
Kick off my shoes, find my daughter, and ask her about her day at school. Then, find something to eat.

• Food: Fresh salads!
  • Movie: The Incredibles
  • TV Show(s): Castle
  • Music: Christian
  • Book: The Dot by Peter Reynolds and Classroom Habitudes by Angela Maiers
  • Superpower: UNLIMITED & NEVER-ENDING ENERGY – I always have one more thing I want to do!
  • Quote: “Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” –Samuel Johnson

Three things I could never live without:

1. The Bible
  2. My family
  3. The internet!

Want to learn more about Kathy Pittinger? Register for EdmodoCon to see her presentation, connect with her on Edmodo to grow your network, and follow her on Twitter to get inspired.

70 responses to “EdmodoCon 2015: Meet Speaker Kathy Pittinger”

1. Rachelle says:

Kathy, what else can I say that hasn’t been said! I love your energy and your wonderful perspective on teaching more than “curriculum”! The world needs more teachers like you! 🙂

2. Oscar says:

As a librarian in training this would be a great source to have and see in action. Looking forward to your presentation!

3. Looking forward to your presentation!

4. Dae says:

I’ll find this topic very interesting! I hope PBL and the 3Cs are emphasized.

5. Pam Hubler says:

I can’t wait for this session. Collaboration is such an important part of creating 21st Century Learners. I learn something from every presentation on the subject. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

6. Jennifer Brooks says:

Excited to see your presentation.

7. Carrie Renfro says:

This year I plan to have a bigger emphasis than ever on global learning and citizenship. I hope to use Skype in the classroom activities as part of that as well as have my students be pen pals with students from around the world. I hope these kinds will activities will promote literacy skills as well as communication, collaboration, and cultural awareness. The incredibles is one of my favorite shows!! Finding Nemo probably tops the list though and UP is right in there:) #edmodolove #nevertoold

8. Congratulations on your conference! I had not thought about the possibility of my class with international students currently give math, but I think it could make projects with my kids and students from other countries with the same level of education in mathematics and would be interesting to know how I can plan this activity. I will be very attentive to his talk. Greetings!

Felicidades por su conferencia! No había pensado en la posibilidad de hacer mi clase con alumnos internacionales, actualmente doy matemáticas, pero creo que podría realizar proyectos junto con mis chicos y alumnos de otros países que tengan el mismo nivel de estudios en matemáticas y sería muy interesante saber como puedo planificar esta actividad. Estaré muy al pendiente de su plática. Saludos!

9. Judi says:

Hi Kathy,
    I am starting a new public speaking class at my middle school this year, and I would love to learn how to connect this class and my students with other countries. I think it would work great in my curriculum, but I don’t know how to go about starting it. Thank you for doing this presentation.

10. Dorene Bates says:

Sounds like a really good presentation! Wish I was going to be around to listen to it!

11. Irene says:

I love the idea of pairing students around the world for language assistance, and can’t wait to hear more detail on how Kathy does it!

12. Ed Bonhaus says:

I’m looking forward to hearing how her experiences shaped her career.

13. Elizabeth Kohut says:

I am looking forward to your presentation , and am excited to learn some new strategies that I can utilize in my school district.

14. Tim Macmillan says:

As an international educator, I am very interested in your upcoming presentation. I am always looking for new ways to connect my students with students around the world to promote learning and global awareness.

15. Dennita Miskimen says:

I cannot WAIT to hear your presentation! My goal this year is to build collaboration and cultural awareness between my classroom and another classroom across the world! In fact, I am hoping one of the new Edmodo Ambassadors will help me. During the interim, I will be tuned in to hear you!

16. Andrea says:

What an interesting and great way to get students engaged with thinking outside themselves and on a more international level. I am excited to hear about your endeavors.

17. I’m looking forward to hearing about your experience. I too can’t live without the Bible!

18. Rhonda Wenum says:

I have worked hard in the past to create “penpals across seas with my students, but I’m ready to give it a try on Edmodo this year (and increase the speed and number of coorespondences between students due to no snailmail), so I really appreciate your idea of taking risks.

I look forward to your presentation tomorrow! Enjoy the experience!

19. Kimberly says:

You sound amazing! I love reading your enthusiasim for teaching and love for it. The advice about tomorrow is a new day is so true in this profession. I am going into my fourth year and it seems like every class period is a new day. Being able to tweak as I go.

20. Mohamed Touhami says:

ready to attend your presentation