EdmodoCon 2015: Meet Speaker Randy Fairfield

July 30th, 2015

Randy_Fairfield_273x268Randy Fairfield teaches Language Arts and Social Studies to a diverse student population, and over the past seven years, has worked with migrants learning English, students at-risk of dropping out, and students being homeschooled. To further his practice, Fairfield’s Master’s Degree in Teaching will soon be accompanied by a National Board Certification. His passion for education is shared by his wife of 11 years, who’s an elementary teacher. Together, they’re raising three children and the largest Dominique Wilkins basketball card collection the world.

Every student has goals and dreams, and from 9:45 am–10:30 am PST, Fairfield will tell EdmodoCon attendees how to tap into them during his Culture of Caring: Building a Support Community With Students & Parents session. With tools to personalize learning and encourage parental involvement, tune in to watch how Edmodo gives you the flexibility to communicate one-on-one, tailor opportunities to an individual’s interests, reduce dropout rates, and position both students and teachers for success.

What inspired you to apply to speak at EdmodoCon?
Because Edmodo helped me transform from an average teacher to an excellent teacher. I wanted to “spread the love,” had shared about Edmodo at a few other conferences, and always received the same response from fellow educators: “Why isn’t everyone doing this?!?” I applied to speak at EdmodoCon because I felt sharing the way I use Edmodo might help other teachers.

How did you feel when you found out you were selected?
Believe it or not I wasn’t all that surprised! I knew the odds were against me because there are a so many people that apply, but I put a lot of effort and passion into my presentation proposal and somehow I just knew that would shine through.

What’s the one thing you hope people take away from your EdmodoCon presentation?
I hope it is an ability to see how Edmodo and technology in general can be used to deepen relationships.

Why did you become an educator?
This is kind of embarrassing, but I entered into the teacher prep program largely because there weren’t any other courses available for me to take in my history major. It was at that point that I started to think a bit more seriously about what I wanted to do after I graduated and I realized that education was something that I valued deeply.

What do you like most about being an educator?
There are so many things. My colleagues are great. The content I get to teach is great. Getting to challenge students to become critical thinkers is especially great. But at the end of the day, the best part about being an educator is being a spark plug. There are few greater feelings than knowing that you helped to provide the spark that helped a student enjoy your content area for the first time, or helped a student realize they could be successful, or helped a student decide what they want to be when they grow up.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received from another educator?
The best of advice I’ve received from another educator was early in my career when I was listening to a couple of senior teachers converse over lunch. They were talking about how they would know when it’s time to quit when they didn’t feel like they cared anymore. That conversation helped me realize that caring is at the heart of education.

What have your students taught you?
That everyone has a story and that there are reasons that underlie everything we do. With that in mind, my students have helped me to see people as diverse individuals with diverse needs.

What’s the first thing you do when you get home from school?
Put on some music and sing and dance with my two-year old.

• Food: Seafood – except for oysters
  • Movie: Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • TV Show(s): Everybody Loves Raymond
  • Music: John Michael Talbot
  • Book: The Bible
  • Superpower: Uh…Telepathy?
  • Quote: “Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. Because they were holding on to something…That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.” –Samwise Gamgee

Three things I could never live without:

1. Food
  2. Water
  3. Edmodo

Want to learn more about Randy Fairfield? Register for EdmodoCon to see his presentation, connect with him on Edmodo to grow your network, and follow him on Twitter to get inspired.

39 responses to “EdmodoCon 2015: Meet Speaker Randy Fairfield”

1. Vanita Vance says:

Looking forward to learning about your insights on building caring communities!

2. Denise Hickey says:

I am excited to hear your presentation!

3. Sarah Eaton says:

I look forward to hearing your presentation about making parent connections through Edmodo.

4. Antoinette Green says:

I look forward to learning new strategies to share with educators to get them involved in using Edmodo.

5. Heather Scott says:

I agree– Edmodo allows teachers to strengthen and deepen their classroom communities. I am interested to hear what Randy has to say!

6. brad Bielawski says:

I am looking forward to hearing some great ways to personalize education for students.

7. John Choins says:

I can’t wait to here more about how we can use Edmodo to enhance the home/school connection.

8. “…caring is at the heart of education”. Like that piece of advice!

Looking forwart to hearing Randy!

9. Sheryl says:

Hi Randy,
    Not sure if you watched Edmodocon 2014, but I spoke on this topic during my presentation as well. CAN’T WAIT to watch. Best of luck.

10. I am looking forward to this presentation so much based on human values, empathy and a conscientious mission in life.

11. Brenda Osborne says:

Anyone who includes a quote from Samwise Gamgee is someone I want to listen to!

12. Really interested to hear about creating a community using Edmodo with the parents in a diverse community.

13. Looking forward to learning from you.

14. Jody Urbas says:

It will be exciting to see you speak about fostering relationships at edmodocon

15. Seth says:

Looking forward to your presentation!

16. Matt Marino says:

Glad you entered the professor. Don’t be embarrassed, most history students find their options are limited early on too.

17. Sandy King says:

Looking forward to learning more ideas about how to use Edmodo to build relationships and connect.

18. …Looking forward to hearing your presentation. I too agree that… “Edmodo helped me transform from an average teacher to an excellent teacher”

19. Oscar says:

Looking forward to your presentation. Our school is big on involving parents and I hopefully your presentation will help with some ideas. Good Luck!

20. Looking forward to learning new strategies!

21. Harly Umboh says:

22. danesensei says:

I am excited and I look forward to hear your presentation!

23. Dae says:

Attrition rate is one of the concerns. Looking forward to learning from your presentation.

24. Ljiljana Lez-Drnjevic says:

What a nice story. Our paths to the classroom are sometimes so strange.

25. Teresa Perles says:

Your presentations sounds so interesting! Sure I won’t miss it!

26. Luca Raina says:

I am excited to hear your presentation,I will follow you!

27. Avis says:

Caring IS at the heart of education! I look forward to hearing you at EdmodoCon! Thank you for sharing your story.

28. Ashleigh Buie says:

My community struggles with parent involvement and Through my use of Edmodo I have seen a huge jump in parent involvement! I can not wait to hear your presentation and gain some new ideas!

29. Pam Hubler says:

As educators, we work really hard with our students. We do need to remember to get the parents involved as much as possible. I’m looking forward to your session. I can always use more ideas for collaboration between school and home. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

30. Congratulations !!! I have always believed that parents are very supportive in student learning and when we do this individualized learning is very supportive techniques, so I look forward to his presentation.

31. Jennifer Brooks says:

Excited to hear your presentation!

32. Jennifer Joiner says:

I think your presentation will be wonderful and I can’t wait to see it. Heart is at the heart of every great teacher.

33. Susana Turowski says:

I’m excited to hear your presentation!

34. Cecilia Monserrat says:

I agree! Caring is the heart of education! Luckily Edmodo is full of people who care and show it through their generous actions, a true caring community! Looking forward to listening to you!

35. Cheryl Jindeel says:

This is such an important topic. I can’t wait to learn more about what I can do to promote a stronger community!

36. Carrie Renfro says:

I am looking forward to your presentation. This year I am going to involve my parents who bring me diverse students also:) It is a real challenge, but I know it has to be possible. My super powers? Eyes in the back of my head and then telepathy:)

37. Judi says:

Hi Randy,
    As a teacher who cares deeply about the relationships I form with my students, I’m excited for you presentation this week. I keep trying to figure out what your presentation will be about, and I like that I haven’t figured it out just yet. Ha. Good luck.

38. Linda Hixson says:

I cannot wait to hear Randy speak about Edmodo and his passion for dropout prevention and homeschooling. I am all about helping kids be successful in light of their daily struggles in life.

39. Greg Macer says:

Look forward to hearing more about deepening communities and the successes of using edmodo as a tool to implement this process.