Hazy On Homework? Parents Speak Out On Staying In The Know.

Posted by: Darrell Jones

September 21st, 2016

As the debate continues on appropriate amounts of homework to assign students, the fact remains that homework isn’t going away anytime soon. Your child will still be coming home with assignments, many of which you may not be aware of. This has the potential for even more drama than you may be experiencing now. In fact, it can lead to issues both in the near term and down the road. Research shows that parental involvement in homework is an important factor in a child’s success. As a U.S. Department of Education publication points out:Hazy On Homework? Parents Speak Out On Staying In The Know.

“Research also shows that parent involvement can have either a positive or negative impact on the value of homework. Parent involvement can be used to speed up a child’s learning. Homework can involve parents in the school process. It can enhance parents’ appreciation of education. It can give them an opportunity to express positive attitudes about the value of success in school.”

Similarly, a study by the Harvard Family Research Project at the Harvard Graduate School of Education concluded:

“Homework offers parents opportunities to see what students are learning, talk with children about their learning, and interact with teachers and other school-community members about ways to support student learning.”

So, how to approach parental involvement with homework?

The first step is to be aware of assignments. Edmodo provides many ways for students, teachers and parents to remain in sync on assignments. To give you some insights, we asked parents for their thoughts on how to use Edmodo to get a glimpse into their child’s world of homework. Here area few highlights:

“I have two sons who use Edmodo. My oldest is usually good at remembering things but my youngest is horrible. On my computer I have 4 tabs that automatically open, my mail, Facebook, their school website and Edmodo. I check them every day. I use it to figure out what homework to do and what events are coming up. I’m very actively involved in the school and I still miss stuff if my kids don’t bring it home. It helps me know what’s going on so I can remind them. I find it very user friendly, I really like it. I like being able to message my son’s teachers and they can message me back. The minute a teacher posts something, it alerts me. It goes to my phone and computer.“

Juanita from Ontario

“English is my second language. That makes it hard to discuss work with the teacher and understand what is needed from my son. I use Edmodo to make one place to view schoolwork. It is very simple for me.”

Adeba from London

“My daughter is a freshman at a new school, and I want to make sure I stay on top of things as it’s a fresh environment for us both. She’s also very independent, so she’s not going to say what she’s being assigned. To stay updated on her work, I particularly love the Edmodo email notifications. I also use it on my phone, for when I have downtime and want to check status. Edmodo gives me comfort knowing that she’s working on things.”

Dorothea from Los Angeles

“Edmodo lets me see into the world of my child’s work day at school. It allows me to view what the kids are learning, and when the projects or assignments are due. I also love to see the communication between the students as they actively discuss the topics they are studying.”

Karen from San Diego

“My daughter is in High School and some of her homework is placed on Edmodo, so I use it to keep her on track making sure she doesn’t forget to do her work.”

Jacqui from Sydney

As you see, Edmodo gives you a glimpse into the daily assignments of your child. It also helps you open up a positive dialog with your child and his or her teacher, to better understand goals and expectations. Armed with this important information, you’re well on your way to providing the support needed for a great education. Explore Edmodo to find new ways to keep you in the loop, and avoid the dreaded homework haze.

33 responses to “Hazy On Homework? Parents Speak Out On Staying In The Know.”

1. doit24 says:

I believe it is important that you could access your kids information regarding school and education no matter where you are and when it is.

2. Paulina says:

I’m so pleased that this exists because it keeps me in the know about what my son is doing in his class. I think that this is something that the school administration should make mandatory for teachers to use to allow us parents to be more informed about our children’s education. Great app…….awesome job to the creators of Edmodo.

3. Marilyn Orr says:

Homework is an integral part of the education system; however, I find now that my Grandson has three different teachers, his homework is intrusive – each teacher sending home work, not realizing that the other two are also including homework. This leaves very little time for healthy activities or commitment to arts (i.e. piano lessons). One teacher may feel the homework she/he sends home is not too overwhelming but when three feel the same way and have no way of knowing what the other teachers have sent home. It’s the accumulation that presents a problem – not the actual concept of homework.

4. Angie says:

Crystal. And i. Work very garden to keep her grades up. So we. Are up late at night making sore she gets her lesson. Ms.Owens”Sweet

5. frances cassola, New York says:

My granddaughter is a junior and I keep up with all the homework on Edmodo to keep her on track. We work together and I like being able to see what is due each day.

6. Harimohan Singh says:

With this app We can track whats going on in class. when assignment due. its very simple and easy to track. Also it has App which is cherry on top of cake.

7. Anne Kornau says:

I have no idea how to use Edmodo. My son is a sophomore and is adamant that I DO NOT involve myself in any of his schooling or assignments. He wants to do it all himself. I would love to use EDMODO to figure out what is due when . Or perhaps I should just let him sink or swim?

8. Caren says:

Edmodo allows me to be informed and in return help my child to be proactive and complete homework on time and study for test.

9. excellent program for parents!

10. Manjinder Thandi says:

Hi
    Really, it is great and i used it for my son in last two years. It helped a lot. Now my son is in grade 8. I wanted to know is Edmodo used for high school too or only for elementary schools?

11. Red Hoffman says:

Edmodo is great. It was not here when my older children went through school, so I see this as a welcome tool to keep track of what my younger son is up to and to make sure he completes his required work on time. Five stars!!

12. Mark Barrington says:

Did not anyone proof read this document? The second sentence. Grammatical correctness. What is “to” doing there?

13. Michelle says:

I do not find it user friendly, and in fact quite confusing at times. There needs to be a way to filter by teacher.

14. Nicole Constain says:

This is the best way to be in touch with my boys school activities. Thank you!

15. nayyaraSafina says:

I need for study

16. Toni Sa says:

Do all of my child’s teachers use this site?

17. Rana Touseef says:

Edmodo give parents an opportunity to interact with their children in much better way and to teach them accordingly .
    Edmodo is the platform which enable students aware that they are being monitored so they focused on their studies.

18. Abdulhameed Ali Abdulla says:

It is obvious that we are about to enter a new era of connection with JRIS and teachers … It is very exciting!!!!

The main complaining about homework is not aburden for parents but for our kids … One day after along follow up with my son I noticed his eyes was full of tears… He said he couldn’t support such long hours in school and then more at home. Please try reduce either this or that

19. Abdulhameed Ali Abdulla says:

The main complaining about homework is not aburden for parents but for our kids … One day after along follow up with my son I noticed his eyes were full of tears… He said he couldn’t support such a long hours in school and then more at home. Please try to reduce either this or that…. Thanking You

20. Sam Chen says:

Thanks I will

21. M.Ibrahim says:

I am trying to get used to Edmodo as the school asked me to create parent account to know whats is going around on school and keep me updated with my child homework and other school activities .I think that was a good idea as I feel much connected to my child and school .

22. Hiral Mody says:

I have been an extenstive user of edmodo since at least last 4 years, its nice to see parents response, would also be sharing this response in person during my discussion with them.

Do keep on posting such things

23. G. MATHIVANAN says:

It’s good.

24. Akitha Reece says:

Very informative

25. Abel Nkenyi says:

I need to be informed when my child took absence from school. Also need to know more about her attitude in school.

26. Hope says:

Well all I have to say is there are parents that want to be involved in their children’s education and the school cooperates about as much as my student who claims to never have homework. I went to the 6th grade guidance counselor within the first month of school knowing my students track record with homework and requested to be cinncted with all my students teachers regarding my child’s school behavior, class work and homework. Didn’t get much reciprocation of concern from them. I even sent notes to teachers including my phone number and my email address for open communication.

27. Whitney says:

Love Edmodo! It keeps me in the loop and my son on schedule. If only the teachers would use it! This year one out of four use Edmodo and last year it was two and they weren’t consistent. Great tool but apparently the teachers/school aren’t participating.

28. Patricia says:

It is a good idea to be intune to my children. There are many reasons for this. Suffice it to say students and parents working with teachers promotes positive outcomes. I have 3 boys and 2 girls. One is a high school graduate and one is in high school, one in middle school and one in 2nd grade one in pre k. In 20 years it still remains true. Good grades begin with the student.

29. Marilyn Kyle says:

I was told high school was no longer doing this because(some) teachers were too busy to comment on students.

30. Mohms says:

Yes, this is all good and well. I’d love to know what’s going on with all the homework stuff because my child seldom if ever talks about what’s going on in his classes. But how does Edmodo actually work? What is it, is it like a blog, a forum, or what? Thanks.

31. Funda KINLI says: